20. Bulletproof love

"My love for you was bulletproof, but you're the one that shot me."

~Bulletproof Love, Pierce the Veil

Even though I was exhausted and overwhelmed with all that had happened--not to mention what Harry accused me of--I plowed through and told the others what Dumbledore had told us in charms the next day. Harry cast a spell from the Prince's book to block out unwanted noise and stares, so it looked as if we were just working on spells.

"Wow," said Ron, when Harry and I had finally finished telling the four of them everything; Ron was waving his wand very vaguely in the direction of the ceiling without paying attention to what he was doing. "Wow. You're both actually going to go with Dumbledore... and try and destroy... wow."

"Ron, you're making it snow," said Hermione patiently, grabbing his wrist and redirecting his wand away from the ceiling.

Lavender noticed and glared at Hermione from a neighboring table through very red eyes, and Hermione immediately let go of Ron's arm.

"Apparently you can't be friends with the opposite gender without wanting to marry them and have twelve dogs with them." Gennie snorted defensivley, glaring at Lavender.

"Well damn, Rory, we'll have to take the puppies back to the shelter!" Cole said in mock annoyance. Gennie rolled her eyes. "Don't worry love, I'd never get puppies with Rory. I'd get kittens."

"Of course you would," I snorted. "I swear, if it wasn't for Gennie you'd end up being a cat man with like forty cats."

"Oh trust me, there'll still be forty cats the house, whether I'm living with him or not." Gennie said fondly. She patted at her hair, which was flaked with white. "Ron, it looks like we all have dandruff now, you moron."

Ron brushed some of the fake snow off Hermione's shoulder Lavender burst into tears. Ron looked immensely guilty and turned his back on her.

"We split up," he told Harry and I out of the corner of his mouth, Hermione pretending she couldn't hear (she totally could), "Last night. When she saw me coming out of the dormitory with Hermione. Obviously she couldn't see you two, so she thought it had just been the two of us."

"What a shame, mate." Cole said, clapping Ron on the shoulder, though he didn't sound sympathetic. "I was really growing on the adventures of Won-Won and Lav-Lav."

Everybody burst into giggles, apart from Ron who gave us really unamused looks. "Well, you don't mind it's over, do you?" Harry pointed out.

"No," Ron admitted. "It was pretty bad while she was yelling, but at least I didn't have to finish it."

"Coward," said Hermione, though she looked amused. "Well, it was a bad night for romance all around. Ginny and Dean split up too, Harry."

Harry nodded, trying to look casual, but if I knew my brother he was doing the conga inside his head. "How come?" he said, though his voice broke, which he fixed by coughing loudly.

"Oh, something really silly... she said he was always trying to help her through the portrait hole, like she couldn't climb in herself... but they've been a bit rocky for ages."

I glanced over at Dean on the other side of the classroom. He looked unhappy.

We all had a free lesson after charms so we walked back to the common room together. Ron and Hermione seemed quite cheery, talking casually and laughing about something. Gennie and Cole as usual were being cute, swinging their intertwined hands as they walked down the hall.

This of course left Harry and I at the back, where Harry was having a dilemma, of course about Ginny. "So, when are you asking her out?" I asked in an excited whisper.

"She's Ron's sister." Harry said with a deep sigh.

"Yeah, and Malfoy and you hate each other, and Arthur is Cole's cousin, but that never stopped me." I huffed. "She's just ditched Dean, try and get her to warm up to you."