chapter ii

chapter ii.

2011

"WINNIE..?"

Every bone in her body felt like it had turned to jello as she looked at the person in front of her, her mouth wide open in shock. She was in so much shock that Winnie had to pinch herself to make sure that she wasn't dreaming like all those other times.

Tears began to well up in her eyes and her breathing began to become rigid as a toothy grin formed on her lips. Before she knew it, her feet guided her themselves, heading towards the man standing in front of her with a confused yet happy expression. 

It seemed like years had gone by as she raced forward as a rush of euphoria washed over her like a wave. Once she had reached him, she enveloped the man in a huge hug, taking him back slightly by the power.

The man returned the hug, wrapping his arms around her neck and squeezing his eyes from the comfort of the interaction. Winnie felt tears pouring down her cheeks, staining the man's white shirt.

"Oh my god," she mumbled into his chest, sniffling with each word, "Oh my god it's you."

Winnie pressed her body closer to her friend, not wanting to let go in case he would slip away again if she let him go. She listened to his heartbeat, the calming nature of it proving he was right there, right now.

"It's me," he whispered back, kissing the top of her head and unwrapping his arms off of her, breaking the hug, "I'm sorry for leaving you."

The White girl placed her hands on his face, inspecting every feature of it. This was the first time she had seen him in seven decades, seven long agonizing decades, it had been so long that it was like she had been seeing it for the first time.

In her head, she could hear the words that he had told her the last time they ever saw each other, 'stay here, I'll be back soon, I promise,' it was almost ironic. He indeed did come back for her.

"You came back," she cried. Her face was red and puffy from all the crying she had been doing.

"I promised you I'd be back, didn't I?" he laughed as he rubbed the tears off her cheeks. "Even though it took a couple of decades apparently."

Winnie laughed at his small joke, "Welcome back, Steve."

2014

"YOU JUST CAN'T STOP YOURSELF FROM LYING, CAN YOU?"

The Rogers man sauntered into the large office that belonged to none other than Nicholas J. Fury, Winnie following closely behind. It was easy to say that Steve was quite mad at not only the head director of SHIELD but also the White girl, especially seeing as he didn't bother to converse many words with her on the journey back from their mission.

"I didn't lie," Fury simply said, sitting in his chair like a boss, "Agent Romanoff and Agent White had a different mission than yours."

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share," Steve commented as he reached the desk. He turned to face Winnie and pointed a finger at her, "Or you."

Fury still hadn't bothered to turn in his chair and Winnie stayed off to the side a bit, still feeling guilty. "I'm not obliged to do anything," the director explained.

"Those hostages could've died, Nick."

Winnie finally decided that she would interject, "But they didn't! No one died and we got all the hostages safe." If looks could kill, the White girl would be dead and rotted in seconds from the way that Steve glared at her with such fury.