chapter xiii

chapter xiii.

2014

STEVE STOOD BY HIMSELF, LOOKING AT THE SCENERY IN FRONT OF HIM. He was thinking about everything that had happened a few hours prior to this moment. With Bucky coming back in his life but he couldn't remember who he was and thought he was the Winter Soldier was just a lot for him to handle.

He didn't get a lot of time to mourn his friend after he fell off the bridge; immediately Steve had to go on missions and help defeat Schmidt, he never got a chance. Not only did he have the death of Bucky on his conscious, but he also had to worry about Winnie whilst she was in her coma. 

So, he was forced to repress his feelings and not acknowledge them. But when he saw Bucky standing there, everything he bottled up just came pouring out and it felt like he had actually lost him again.

Bucky was his best friend, the person that he would go to if he had a problem, the guy that was always there for him and Steve couldn't even save him from falling off the train. All because he couldn't save his best friend, he was tortured and turned into this killing machine.

Why couldn't he have tried hard enough? Maybe he could have spared him the horrific years of being tortured by HYDRA. 

As he was thinking, a sudden voice appeared on his left. "Hey, Steve."

Steve jerked his head in the direction of the voice, only to see it was Winnie. "Oh, hey, Wins. What's up?"

"Uh.. Well, I-uh.." Winnie stumbled. Steve took account of her nervousness, wondering it was that she wanted from him. "I wanted to.. Erm.. I wanted to apologise. For y'know, everything recently?"

His brow furrowed. Steve, although he knew that they had been fighting, didn't expect her to apologise, particularly because they were both in the wrong here. However, he was thankful for her for knowing she did something wrong too and it wasn't just Steve being irrational.

"You don't have to apologise, Winnie. I know you mean well with everything you do," the Captain smiled before turning back to look at the scenery.

They were a little bit out from Washington DC but you could still see all the buildings and intricate monuments. It was just far out enough that you didn't have to hear all the honking cars and loud noises.

Looking at it calmed him. It was a weird sensation, especially because ever since he became Captain America back in 1941, he never felt calm or peaceful, just stressed. Sometimes he wondered if his life would be better if he didn't become the Star-Spangled-Man.

Winnie shook her head, knocking herself out of her stare, "But I do need to apologise. I haven't been a good friend to you. I've kept secrets from you, withheld important information, hell, I haven't even asked you how you are feeling, especially with the whole Bucky being back stuff. And you, you've made sure I've been alright and helping me with Fury back there.

"Steve, I never wanted to be a bad friend to you, especially since you've always been a great friend to me; ever since we were just a bunch of stupid teenagers doing stupid things. And I-I thank you for that. I'm so sorry, Steve.."

By the end of her speech, Winnie had begun to tear up, water filling in her eyes. Steve meant so much to her and it felt like they had been growing apart recently and it was all her fault. Why couldn't she have been a better friend? Maybe then they wouldn't have had to be in this predicament at the moment.

"Winnie.." Steve cooed. 

It pained him to see her upset, primarily since it was because of their friendship. She meant a lot to him and he wasn't going to see her worked up over a spat that they had been having. Winnie was the last person he had from his past and he refused to let their friendship sizzle.