chapter xi

chapter xi.

1945

HER EYES FLUTTERED OEPN, THE BRIGHT LIGHT SHINING THROUGH HER EYELASHES, STINGING HER EYES A LITTLE BIT. As her eyes adjusted to the light, she lifted her head up, trying to figure out where she was, her brow knitting together.

The room was coloured white, the colour that you would get in a hospital, and there was only one lonely window on her left that showed the bright blue skies outside.

Slowly pushing herself up into a sitting position, the girl ran a hand through her greasy hair - she could only assume that she hadn't showered in days. When she looked down on herself, she realised that she was in a hospital gown, something that she had been in one too often since she signed up for the war.

Why was she here? What happened? She could hardly remember a thing. The last thing she could remember was being out in the field with Steve, taking out a few HYDRA soldiers.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" she called out, her voice scratchy and dry.

She listened out for the sound of footsteps heading her way. Thankfully, she heard the shuffling of steps outside the door. Soon enough the person came bursting through the door and once she realised who it was a thankful smile appeared on her face.

It was none other than Howard Stark in the flesh, one of her new friends that she had made all thanks to Steve with the serum. Their friendship was an unlikely pair, with him being a little bit selfish and a little bit self-centred and her being shy and a little bit closed off but it didn't stop either of them from becoming friends.

"You're awake," he gasped, standing in the doorway with a shocked expression.

She nodded her head and smiled. "Of course I'm awake. Can I get a glass of water please?"

Howard shook his head and raced over towards the sink and poured the girl a glass of water, his hands somewhat shaking as he did so. Once it was full, he hurried back over to the girl and handed it over.

Almost immediately, the glass was empty, showing him just how thirsty she in fact was. "Wow, that was fast."

She gave her friend a sheepish smile before handing him back the glass that was now empty. "I was really thirsty.."

"I can tell," he laughed awkwardly.

The fact that Winnie was awake and talking truly shocked Howard. He had been a scientist for over a decade and was easily one of the brightest minds living, if not the brightest and never in his life did he know anything like this.

How could it be possible? She had died. There's no way she should be awake right now, it was scientifically impossible and yet here she was.

"I- uh," Howard stumbled, shaking his head, "I'm gonna run some tests on you, just to make sure you're alright."

Winnie simply nodded her head as she watched the billionaire rush around the room, grabbing random equipment and bringing it over towards her. The White girl felt her chest tighten at the sight of a syringe laying amongst the different items that Howard had taken over.

Memories flashed in her mind of the nightmare of events that she and Bucky had to endure. She could just remember the pain that surged through her body from that unknown chemical that Zola had created.

Bucky.

God, she completely forgot about him. She could vaguely remember what had happened before she went unconscious. They were in a fight and she could recall the fact that they had both apologised to one another.

Saving | Bucky Barnes [2]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara