chapter xiv

chapter xiv.

1959

EVIE LET OUT A SIGH OF RELIEF WHEN SHE SAW HOWARD TURN ROUND THE CORNER, OUT OF EYESIGHT. Quickly spinning on her heel, she used her keycard and did an eye scan to open the door, trying to go as fast as possible.

As the door swung open, she swiftly stepped inside, closing the door behind her and placing a pip in the handle. If someone were to figure out she was here, at least she would be able to spare herself a few extra seconds before they got to her.

Now for her assignment.

She rushed over onto one of the drawers and began searching through the files, trying to find the folder. "Come on.. Where is it..?" Evie whispered to herself as she searched.

There was this one specific file that she had been tasked to search for from her bosses. It had a lot of secret information on it, top-secret kind of stuff, things that would help her organisation by a landslide. This information was excruciatingly vital for her mission.

Her eyes scanned the different folders, moving as fast as possible. Suddenly, alarms started going off, making Evelyn's heart pound harder against her chest. "Oh god, they know.." her voice cracked.

This wasn't supposed to go like this. She was supposed to be able to get in and get out without anyone knowing. But of course, she just had to bump into Howard. Damnit, she thought, it would've been him that thought something was off!

God damn her and her flirtatious ways!

"Come on! Where is it?!" Evie yelled to herself. She began to panic so much that she could barely even flip through the folders. "Ahah!" she let out a puff of air when she finally found it, "It's about damn time."

She quickly tucked the folder up her shirt, hiding it and closed the cabinet door. Evie was away to leave only to be confronted with none other than Howard Stark himself.

"Why?" was all he said.

Evie swallowed the lump in her throat. She wasn't really sure what she was supposed to say; she had been caught. She knew that Howard had finally caught on with her schemes.

"What do you want me to say?" Evie asked with a hard look on her face. She couldn't let him know how much fear she was withholding.

"Well, I'd like to know why you'd betray us like this," Howard stated.

The girl bit her lip, "Because I had to."

Howard took a fast step closer to her, anger bubbling in his stomach. "No you didn't!" he yelled. "We trusted you and you betrayed us! What about Winnie? Did your friendship with her mean anything to you?"

Of course it did. But she couldn't say that. Once again she was forced to do and say what HYDRA said. It was like she was the puppet at they were pulling the strings. She had no control over her life.

"W-Winnie?" her voice cracked, "That bitch could be dead in a ditch somewhere for all I care!"

Howard was taken back by her words. He didn't think that Evie, the girl who had so much love in her heart would say something like that, especially about Winnie. "How long have you been a spy?"

Evie let out a fake laugh, trying to seem cruel. "When haven't I been?" Her words confusing Howard. "Wow, the Howard Stark, confused over one small sentence? Never thought I'd see that. Let me explain.

"My whole life, I have been spying on all of you, it was just luck that Winnie turned out to be such a big part of SHIELD. I'm not even American! From a young age, I have been taught to lie, fight and seduce anyone that stood in my way. Even my family was a lie. My name isn't even Evelyn Bell. I have gone through worse things than you can imagine."