CHAPTER THIRTEEN

“Raine, you didn’t have to take us home. We could have taken a cab or something.” I said to her. Me and Marge are currently sitting on the back of Raine’s car.

“Don’t worry about it Dee. Besides, I’ve sent Alex and Pat back in the office to check if there’s anything that still pending to close the fraud case. As for your car that you left in the supermarket, I already called a service to pick it up and drop it off your house tomorrow.”

“Sorry for troubling you.” I heard Marge whispered.

“It’s nothing Marge. It’s not really a bother. I’m the one grateful for your help. Thank you so much for agreeing to look after Dee. Even if we wanted to, none of us three, can take a leave now since we still have urgent matters in the office this week. But more than that, I’m just so happy that you two finally see each other. I know and I feel that everything is not yet okay, but I’m hoping that you’ll at least try… try to work it out and talk properly…”

“Thank you Raine.” I said hoping and praying that it will really happen once we’re home.

*******************************

“You found some good friends.” Marge said as we’ve entered the house.

“Oh, you mean Raine, Alex and Pat? Well, I guess you can say that. Somehow, I keep running into them even if I didn’t want to. I also had the chance to be friends with their respective partners too.”

“That’s good to know. I’m glad you were able to meet nice people.” Marge smiled and said in earnest. 

“Yeah, you’re right… So… ahmmm… I know…before I… before I collapsed, I said that I wanted to talk… but now that I’ve calm down, and knowing that you are not going to vanish in an instant… I… I suddenly don’t know how to start…” I admitted, suddenly feeling nervous.

“I don’t know either.” Marge whispered.

“Ahmmm... do you want to eat, we have the take-out food that Raine gave us.” I asked, trying to lighten up the mood.

“Normally, I would take that offer or I would have been passed out since I just had an 18-hour shift, but I don’t feel like eating.” Marge answered.

“I see, same here…” agreeing with her.

Both of us were suddenly quiet, eventually finding ourselves sitting across from each other in living room.

“Dee…?”

“Yes?” I responded as soon I heard her voice.

“I... I’m not going to leave town or move somewhere. Now that I’ve calm down too, I realize that it’s foolish for me to uproot myself again. I finally found a unit that I can afford, plus I have good neighbors, George and Lisa. My current jobs are also working for me, so yeah...”

“That’s… that’s good to hear Marge… I’m really happy to know that…” I replied, trying not to sound too excited from the good news I’ve heard. 

“Yeah… but Dee, I’m not sure what you are expecting out of this. We can talk, just like what you’ve requested, but as I’ve said… We are completely two different people now, what happened 10 years ago is in the past, I’ve… I’ve moved on… And you… you should too, you know…” Marge said as she looked at me and smiled.

“You’ve moved on? I can respect that…But I don’t think I’ll believe that Marge, not when your doing that, smiling even though your eyes says otherwise.” I said as I caught her off guard. “You’re right, we’re probably different from the people we knew 10 years ago but I know that smile, I remember that look… That’s the same smile and look that you had when you thought I went to enjoy the carnival without you… when you thought I’ll choose…”