CHAPTER SEVEN

(PRESENT TIME)

“Hey Dee, do you want to have dinner with us… Dee???” Alex patted me.

“Oh… what did you say?” I asked, not hearing what she said earlier.

“She asked if you want to have dinner with us?” Pat repeated. We just finished our committee meeting and all four of us are the only ones left in the room.

“Ohhh, no, I’ll pass. I want to drive early, it looks like it’s going to rain any moment now. I don’t want to be stuck in traffic.” I explained.

“Okay then. Drive safe. And Dee, try not to think of anything or be lost in thought while driving. Are you sure you’re okay?” Raine asked worriedly. Perhaps, seeing me out of focus earlier.

“Yeah, don’t worry about me. I’ll go ahead. See you tomorrow.” I said, leaving the room in a hurry before they ask more questions.

*******************************

I don’t know what made me had that flashback. It’s been a while since I last remember that painful memory. I think someone made a joke during the meeting about the email we received from one of the board of directors today regarding a potential fraud inside the company that we need to look into. He kept repeating the word “love letter” instead of email as he explained what it was about and who among the directors raised the concern. 

I stopped my car as I get closer to the vehicle in front of me. Even if its not yet raining, the traffic already built up. “I guess, everyone’s thinking the same. Wanting to go home before it rains.”  I thought. After a moment, I heard my stomach growled. “Ohhh, right… dinner… I don’t have any food at home. I should stop somewhere.”

I choose the next coffee shop I saw on the way. I was looking at the restaurants, but everything seems crowded. I know I can order a take-out, but it will take some time. I saw the coffee shop almost empty, and I thought for sure they have some bread or sandwich that I can buy for my dinner. I really wanted to go home right away.

*******************************

I got out of my car. I was lucky to find an available parking space at the front, just a short walking distance to the coffee shop.  But as soon as I started walking, light rain started to pour, I ran quickly, hoping that it won’t get stronger so I can run back once I bought my food.

I was close and reaching for the door, when suddenly, a woman appeared and run in front of me, instantly colliding with me. I felt a sudden pain in my shoulder. We did not fall down but the impact was strong. 

“Oh my god…I’m sorry… I’m really sorry… I just really need to rush. The bus is there and it’s raining.” The woman explained as she tries to steady herself.

I froze upon seeing the face in front of me. Hearing that sweet voice, I knew too well. Even if it’s almost ten years that have passed. I will never forget that voice.

The woman didn’t recognize me.  She just continued on her way after apologizing, passing me and hurriedly heading for the bus. It took me a few seconds before I could move and ran after her. She was getting on the bus… 

“Marge, wait… Marge…” I shouted… reaching for her hand before I lose her again.

Once she felt my hand, holding her. She turned around… with a shocked look on her face. We stared at each other, almost felt like an eternity, before we heard the driver honked signaling to hurry as he’s closing the door.

The woman pulled her hand out of me. “I don’t know you. You’ve mistaken me for someone else.” she strongly answered, walking inside the bus instructing the driver to close the door.

I stood there… watching the bus drove away, not knowing what to do... not even noticing that it was already pouring hard. “It’s her!!! I know it’s her!!! I can’t be wrong!!!”