<12>

I was woken up by Toni, stepping on me.

"Ow, fuck!"

She stumbles and kneeled down next to me. "Shit, sorry, but we have to get ready, we have to go to a street race today."

I hummed and sat up, my hair all in my face as I wipe off the dried saliva off my cheek.

"You're attractive in the morning," Toni remarks.

I groan and fall back onto the floor, like a star fish.

"C'mon, Sparky, get up and dressed so we can get Pop's. Also, wear that shirt today."

"Why?" I ask, though it wasn't very audible with my morning voice.

"Just 'cause. We ride in thirty."

"Yes, sir," I salute, still laying down.

• • •

Toni gave me a ride to the strip. I was wearing the shirt I slept in, only I tied it up so it looked cropped, my black skinny jeans from yesterday, and my beaten but beautiful combat boots.

As I hopped off the back of her bike, which I had my eyes closed on the entire way, I could smell the burnt rubber, the alcohol and the weed.

I hope none of the drivers are under the influence or this could be something worse than illegal car racing.

The Serpents had their bikes lined up in a row, Toni's next to Pea's and Fangs' on the other side of her.

"Peachy, glad to see you're not in pieces after the raid," Fangs smiled.

"I'm not that fragile," I mock hurt.

Pea says nothing, but he keeps his eyes trained on me.

"Let's do it!" Tall Boy yelled, every cheers, Ghoulies and Serpents a like.

I was filled in a bit from some of the older Serpents. I have a basic idea on what should happen, but I'll ask more questions when we win.

Because Jug will win. He has to. They will not lose their home.

I squint my eyes, trying to see everything with the sun blinding me.

"Peach, come around here," Sweets says, motioning to his side of the bike row. I walk around and stand beside him, to which he moves me to the other side, throwing an arm around my shoulders.

"What'd you do this for?" I ask.

"So you can see, and I'll block the sun and shade you."

"Right, thank you," I smile. He smiles back and we look back towards the starting line.

Jughead and the ghoulie racer shake hands as Jug explains the route their racing.

Dead Man's Curve. Couldn't have chosen a better spot, huh?

Toni goes up to start the race, but Cheryl goes up as well.

"Uh, I usually do the honors."

"Not today, Cha Cha. I was born for this moment," she says, in that sassy, "matter of a fact" voice.