<10>

Betty's been ignoring me since last night. I waited for her when I got home. I guess I fell asleep on the couch before she did.

"Hey, Betty, when'd you—"

"No, leave me alone, Peach. I'm not...I don't want to talk about last night."

"Hey, is everything alright? Did something happen when you were coming home?"

She spun around on her heels and stared me down. Her eyes were red and swollen. She's been crying, and for a while it seems like.

"Oh my God, Peach. I said leave me alone."

So I've been avoiding her all day. Not that it was a challenge because it seems like she was doing it more than I was.

Quietly making an omlette in the kitchen. For dinner, yes.

I should really learn how to cook other things. Pasta maybe. And I could try mac 'n cheese, I heard that's really easy. Knowing my luck I'd fuck it up, but I mean I could try?

Adding the salt (yes, salt I double checked), I finished my meal for champions and sat at the table dancing in my seat to whatever was on the radio.

I heard the distinct clicking of heels on hardwood. Spinning around I call out, "Betty?"

Note my surprise when I see my mom glamoured up to the heavens.

"Holy shit..." My breathe catches as I look at my mom, she was wearing this gorgeous red-jewel toned dress, with gold accent jewlery.

"Watch your language, Peach," she gave me a look.

"Well excuse me, but somebody looks fiesty," I grin, hoping off my seat and over to Alice.

I motion for her to do a spin, she giggles, giggles, and does so.

"When did you get this? I've never seen it in your closet before."

"I bought it. I'm going out tonight," she looks so happy as she said that. She fixed her earings and goes to grab a pair of red silettos.

"Mom, you can't wear those. They don't match the red in your outfit," I blurt out.

She sighs and sets them down, "I know, but I couldn't find anything else that would match."

"You're lucky we have the same shoe size," I sigh, running up the stairs to my room, going to my closet and picking out a pair of heels I bought secretly with Betty one year, hoping I could wear them for prom.

I carry the dainty box down the stairs, and make my way to the coffee table in the middle of the living room. I set them down with s much ease as I could.

"What're those?"

"Sit down and I'll show you."

I open the top of the box, and with the most caution I could possibly manage, I take off the tissue paper to reveal a pair of gold heels, I bought them because they ressembled the greek sandals the gods used to wear, when I was in my mythology phase.

I take the intricate shoes out of the box and hand them to my mother, who was sitting on the couch in awe.

"Voila, the masterpiece. You're gonna be the most gorgeous lady at the party."

She takes the shoes from my hands with as much delicacy as I did, and put them on. I helped her off the couch and helped her walk a few steps before she went and walk the length of the house by herself.

I sigh, and clasp my hands. It wasn't very often I got to dress anyone other than myself. Usually, everyone was dressing me. My unlady-like fashion styles usually didn't get anyone's seal of aproval, unless we were going to a concert.