EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - WEDDING CRASHED
(13/05/2021)

"We're here today to join in matrimony, this man and this woman."

Pax stood beside Thomas, when Ada joined them, seeing her, she gleamed with excitement. She hadn't seen Ada which seemed like forever and now, she was glowing radiant with her huge belly housing a child. It was a bittersweet moment seeing her sister in law swollen with a child, that could have been her now but she had another nephew or niece to love.

"You look well, Ada." She whispered, across Thomas and slowly held Ada's hand for warmth and let go. She couldn't deny that she had missed her Shelby sister.

"You got my invitation?" Thomas said quietly addressed to Ada.

"Grace said there's a truce." Ada replied, she was shocked when it was Grace who gave her the envelope but didn't question it. Pax flinched at the name.

"Family day." Thomas corrected. Pax rolled her eyes, surprised and suddenly not feeling welcomed.

"Your husband couldn't make it?" She asked her oldest friend.

"He's not speaking to me and when he does he calls me a "Fucking Shelby" even though I'm a Thorne now." She let her friend and brother know, shaking her head in disappointment at her husband who she loved dearly.

"A thorn in my side, that's for sure." Thomas clicked his tongue, thinking about Freddie fucking Thorne, "my God, Tommy, you admire him, don't you?" Pax nudged his side and herself and Ada giggled like school girls. Maybe he was fond of Fred after all.

"I now pronounce you man and wife!"

"Well, John, kiss the bride, will you?" Thomas shouted and smiled as everyone cheered the young couple on. His bride Esme was the personification of beauty, she had wavy brunette hair and a smile that could light up the world, her beautiful wedding dress hugged her figure as she stood beside her new husband.

At the evening reception, Thomas found himself sitting down with Esme's mother, drinking fine whiskey while he smoked a cigarette and watched the love of his life dancing around with Arthur.

"Arthur, Arthur. Spin me around." He heard her giggle as his older brother spun her around and lifted her off the ground with ease. She was still giggling, the wine she had earlier making her a tad tipsy but she was enjoying life. Polly arrived earlier, without the kids and everything was finally okay. Everyone was happy.

"You should tell Ada to slow down." Polly said to Tommy as she stood behind him. They both noted that Ada was dancing like a free spirit with Pax, 8 months pregnant.

"You think she'll listen to me?" He scoffed. He saw that Pax had tried to get her to sit down and have a rest but she didn't listen, just shook her off.

"I've tried stopping her but she's been drinking." Polly added, getting more worried for her niece.

"She's been stuck in that little basement for weeks, what do we expect?"

"She's going off like a firecracker. Oh, Christ, Tommy, please."

"Ada, come on, have a rest. Sit down." Tommy raised his voice, so she could hear him over the music. He stood up slightly, going to get her and almost force her to sit down and take care.