EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT - DRAMA
(11/05/2021)

A few weeks had flew in and a lot had happened for the Shelbys. Pax thought that Thomas had found him in a stupid and predictable situation like usual but she would be damned if she confronted him about it. Inspector Campbell, the Irish man had been causing havoc around town, the police had raided every single house and had blamed it on the Peaky Blinders in a way to under-mind them.

Ada Shelby, the only girl of the Shelby clan had just found herself knocked up with Freddie Thorne's baby. Thomas hadn't reacted all that great to the news and after he found out that it was his former best friend, he was absolutely livid. Pax had tried her absolute hardest to get him to cool off and come to terms that his sister wasn't a child anymore. They hadn't spoken in a few days, Thomas has kept his distance from his wife, his wife who had expressed her opinion on his attitude regarding Ada's situation, "you're not the boss of her, leave them be."

Was she a bad person that she found herself silently listening into their conversation behind the kitchen door, she hadn't meant to listen. She was merely going to go into the kitchen to make herself a sandwich but when she realised they were talking about the baby growing in Ada's stomach, she couldn't help herself.

"The longer you leave it, the worse it gets. Believe me, I know. I was sixteen and I didn't dare tell anyone." She heard Polly speak as she started to listen more intently. She raised her eyebrows, nervously listening in without making a noise.

"Polly, Freddie'll come back."

"In the end, I did it myself. I did it to myself. And I almost died. And he didn't come back. They don't. Why should they? You know the words. You're a whore. Baby's a bastard. But there's no word for the man who doesn't come back. One day, on your wedding day, you'll have a good man on your arm. And you'll say, "Polly, thank you, for common sense." This woman's in Cardiff. We'll take the train tomorrow. Go to the castle afterwards for a treat." Polly continued and that's when she finally lost it, she wasn't about to let Ada do something that she would regret for the rest of her life. Ada would slowly lose herself if she did this.

Pax did.

"You'll regret it." She stormed into the kitchen and faced both women, hurt and guilt was to be seen on her face.

"If you get rid of your baby, it will be the thing that most haunts you when your lying alone in bed at night. It will always be on your mind and you'll never escape the pain that your heart feels. I don't normally disagree with Pol. Don't do it, Ada."

"Pax, you are in a different situation." Polly argued. Ada was confused, she didn't understand. Polly knew Pax was trying to get pregnant but A da was in a compete different situation. Pax was happily married, Ada didn't even know where Freddie was.

"No, no. I got pregnant before my seventeenth birthday. I had my baby but my father took him away. To this day, my baby is out there and I can't find him." She clung onto Ada so that she would pay attention. Tears formed at her eyes, afraid. She couldn't think about the baby she had been forced to give up.

"It haunts me. I know you don't want to give up this baby. I know you don't. This is your body and your choice and you are strong enough." She rambled on as Ada and Polly were in shock, this was news to them, Thomas didn't even know, she had promised herself that she would never blurt it out and make it real but Pax had to be truthful to get her point across.