12 | This is Awkward, But Then Again...

Y/N

_

SOMEHOW, in the very strange turn of events, I managed to land a meeting with Finn.

It took a bunch of screaming, panicking, and thought, but I was finally able to send him a message through Instagram. Harry and Niall almost strangled me when I said I wasn't going to press send. Thankfully, I survived, and now I'm on my way to Coney Island to meet with the boy I had lost touch with.

To meet with Finn.

His show was here for the premiere of Season One of Stranger things, and surprisingly I had just finished a concert here. Niall kept telling me it was fate, but I told him to shut up.

"You ready?" Sadie said, nudging me with her elbow.

I was sitting in the passenger seat of my driver's car, staring out of the tinted windows. I specifically told Niall and Harry they couldn't come, because I knew they'd end up stalking us all around the boardwalk. But I was still nervous.

"No," I sighed, "what if things aren't like they used to be?"

The red-head shrugged, "they probably won't be."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"That's what you should be happy about," she encouraged, "Finn's not just a boy you met in a shop seven months ago. He's finally getting the recognition he deserves, and that gave you a chance to reconnect with him."

She was right. I was just scared he'd take one look at me, and decide he wanted to move on. I don't think I moved on. Actually, I know I haven't moved on, because I'm wracked with nerves just thinking about him.

I missed the boy from the record shop.

"I see him," Sadie said, whipping her finger out, "there, by the pretzel stand!"

Shifting my faze, I noticed what the girl was staring at. A heap of curly, dark-brown hair was visible a few paces away from the car. The boy it belonged to had his nose stuck into his phone, typing something quickly with his thumbs.

"You got this," my friend said, "just go up to him and say hi."

"Just say hi?"

"Just say it!"

"Okay!" I said, flustered, clambering out of the car, "pick me up at seven."

"Got it."

"Bye!" I called out, closing the door behind me and beginning to strut down the boardwalk.

I felt like I was walking down a red carpet, but wearing stilettos. I always fall when I wear stilettos. I was just so nervous to walk over to Finn, that I felt like I would trip and roll into the sand.

I might as well just die of embarrassment, then.

"Hey," I said, coming to a stop behind the boy, "long time no see."

Finn turned around at the sound of my voice, and we came face to face for the first time in a while. I could almost remember what it was like to dance with him that day at the store.

I wished we could dance again.

"Long time no see..." he repeated, smiling, "you look different, [y/n]."

I laughed, "and you look the same."

"Is that a bad thing?" he chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand, "I meant mine as a compliment."

"And so did I."

"Really?"

"Yeah," I nodded, biting my lip.

This wasn't like those movie moments, where two lost souls come running at each other in the rain and reminisce. One, because it's not raining, and two, the both of us were just standing there awkwardly, staring at each other.

Finn seemed to notice it too.

"Sorry," I laughed sheepishly, staring at the wooden planks beneath me, "I forgot how awkward I get around you."

"Ditto," he laughed softly so, "but then again, I think we've always been awkward."

"I agree with that."

There was another moment of silence, before Finn cleared his throat.

"Let's walk," he said, nodding his head towards the crowd to my right, "we have a lot to catch up on."

Before we began to move, I held out my hand and stopped him. There was something I had on my mind, and the only time I felt like I could say it was now. I feared I'd forget if we started to walk.

Clearing my throat, I exhaled, "I've missed you."

I know it seemed like I forgot about what happened in Vancouver, but that couldn't be more wrong. I remembered it everyday. I was just too scared to call him, because I thought he moved on.

But maybe he didn't.

Smiling, Finn bowed his head, his curls bouncing up and down. Holding out his hand, he beamed, "I've missed you more."