4. Nevicata

My cold burgundy eyes trace small glittering snowflakes slowly descending from the grey sky. The insignificant particle of frozen water floats down and its beauty perishes amongst the pearly white glowing ground. Even so, fraction after fraction, they coalesce together and cover the frozen earth. But they don’t disappear. Their strength increases as they melt together. Are we like that as well? We all stand together and our power enhances. We won’t perish as we would if we stood alone.

My mind is torn away from the window as small, slightly warm hands wrap around my waist. A little uneven heartbeat fills my ears. My gaze glides down and meets warm, chocolate eyes of a beautiful girl. She smiles brightly and hugs me tighter. I embrace her small frame and a heavenly laugh breaks out of my throat.

“She wishes you a Merry Christmas.” Edward’s chuckle echoes through the empty room. I smile at the little angel and ruffle her hair playfully. She lets out a gorgeous giggle and lets go of me. Her small body struts right to her mother.

“Thank you. Have a wonderful evening.” I say and smile as the happy family disappears through the door. They are going to spend the celebration at Bella’s father’s house. Family is the most important thing right now.

My pale white hand reaches for a door handle and slowly opens the glass door. I step out onto the porch and gaze at the beautiful view of the woods. I laugh at Emmet as his tall and snow covered figure appears out of thin air. The rest of the vegetarians appear a second later. Smiles and laughter still floating in the wind. I notice that Eleazar and Carlisle are also covered in snow. They walk straight towards the house and Esme smiles warmly at me.

“Boys had a little fight.” She laughs and enters her home. The rest follow as I remain standing in the same spot.

A wonderful family. That’s the first thing that comes to my mind. I have been staying here for three days, but it seems like it’s been years. Probably because of the tension and anxiousness fluttering among us, even though neither of us speak of it. Those three days are enough to understand how loving and supporting this family is and how much I want to protect them. All of them opened up to me. All of us are a family now.

My subtle smile disappears as the sheet of snow gets thicker. ‘When the snow begins to stick. That’s when they will come.’ Carlisle’s voice repeats itself in my head. Truth is, I have no idea how much time we have left. This is what drives me crazy. A slight fear pierces my heart, but also gives birth to an unknown feeling. A feeling of exigency and necessity. And of course, immense nervousness. My mind tells me that something is going to happen. No matter how powerful my gift is, I still can’t predict future. The only one that could have had left us before I even came here. Maybe it’s for the best if we don’t know. Because.. you can never know…

“Earth to the pretty princess!” Emmet shouts in my ear and I immediately clasp his mouth shut with my left hand.

“The pretty princess is listening.” I smirk and let go of his face.

“Shouldn’t you.. you know.. fish for some humans?” He chuckles nervously.

“I did. Last night.” He lets out a grunt and I giggle. “Do not worry. I hunted very far up north. I’m set.”

“Good. Now how about you come join us? It’s getting really cold.” He smiles and folds his arms across his chest.

“Thank you for the offer, but I think I’ll stay here for a while.”

“Sure thing.” He laughs and returns to the warm home.

I take a few steps further and feel little crystal snowflakes touch my head. I stand there rooted and look ahead. I decide to take a walk in the woods. I walk a few steps and then quickly dash into the forest. Again, I’m running at my top speed trying to shake that bad feeling out of my heart.

I’m nervous. I’m scared and angry. But there is nothing I can do right now. For those past two days we trained a couple of times. We found out that Bella can project a mental shield upon us whereas I can only shield myself. This will be of huge assistance if a fight does break out. Other vampires also have great and useful gifts like element manipulation or the projection of electricity. Also the both packs of shape-shifters will be on our side, which is also an advantage. But we still are a little weak and outnumbered compared to them. The Cullens informed me about their powers. Animalistic strength, speed, illusion of pain and sense deprivation. Their powers are intimidating since I have no idea if I will be able to block them.

But of course I still am very persuasive. My power gives me the ability to make others do what I want against their own will. But I rarely had to use it on vampires. Only humans. I make them fall in love with me. Then I force them to cut all of the connections they have to this world. And then I kill them. But I’m not sure if this will work on everyone.

I stop as I reach the edge of the cliff. A rush of cold wind scrapes my cheeks and snow falls all around me as the waves of the sea crash against the slopes of the edge. It’s getting darker. The night is approaching so I better get back home. That’s when a cold shock runs down my spine. I watch as the snowflakes fall and touch the ground and it feels like my ice cold heart falters.

The snow is sticking.