2. Amicizia

His warm golden eyes widen and a warm smile takes its place on his lips. He untangles his arms from a confused looking woman’s waist and steps towards me. He smiles even brighter as he approaches me with his hands open, inviting me for a hug. With no hesitation I wrap my stone hard arms around him and enjoy the cold embrace that we last shared such a long time ago. Others eye me with a familiar look in their eyes. Infatuation. I always have this effect on people because of my stunning beauty, which is unnatural even for a vampire.

“Selene!” he laughs silently “It’s been far too long!”

“Yes, of course! I missed you so much!” I breathe out.

“So did I.” We let go of each other and turn towards his awaiting and confused family.

“Um.. Carlisle. Not to be rude, but who is this lady?” A tall golden haired vampire turns his attention towards me.

“My name is Selena. Don’t be threatened. Carlisle is one of my closest friends.” I gesture towards Carlisle, who nods slightly. “I’m here not to cause trouble. On the contrary – I’m here to help you in any way that I can.” Edward sends me a stern look and I can feel him searching through my mind for an answer. It starts to annoy me, so I invoke my gift and close my mind shut, stopping him from continuing his search. His eyes widen for a split second as he realizes that my head, which just a moment ago was congested with my memories and thoughts, is completely blank to him now.

“Thank you, ­Selena.” Carlisle’s voice interferes this unpleasantly silent moment. “You have no idea how grateful we are for your visit. And I, more than anyone, know that it took you a lot of courage to step out of your hiding. For us. We will be eternally thankful.” Carlisle puts a hand on my shoulder and smiles warmly.

“No, no. Please, don’t exaggerate.” I chuckle sweetly. “You are the closet thing I have to a family. And I intend to protect my family in time of greatest need.”

“Well, a friend of Carlisle is a friend of ours.” An elegant lady steps forward and casts a hospitable smile. “I’m Esme. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” We shake hands politely and smile at each other. Then my face becomes serious. I look at the golden haired man, who is still trying to get inside my head. Edward is his name, as I recall. I walk a few steps closer to him and don’t break our intense eye contact.

“I would like to meet the child. If you are comfortable with it..” I whisper silently. Instead of a growl, that I have been expecting, he nods.

“Yes, of course. Just as Esme said – you are a friend of ours.” For the first time his face lights up and his lips twitch upwards.

“Yes, yes! Let’s bring the gorgeous lady inside!” a tall, muscular vampire laughs and claps his hands together. Edward chuckles and gestures me to follow him. I do as he wishes and stride right behind him. The rest of them follow us inside. My legs gracefully climb up a few polished concrete stairs and I find myself facing a lovely glass entrance. The huge, brown haired vampire outruns us and opens the door for me. I smile thankfully and he scratches his head.

I carefully step into their warm home. I look around and listen to the conversations going on in almost all of the rooms. Apparently, Carlisle has been asking for help from his friends. And his request wasn’t left unanswered. I dismiss my thoughts as I hear a strange sound. My ears perk up instantly. Besides a regular heartbeat of a brown skinned man behind me, I detect another one. A strange, uneven beating that I have never heard before.

Like a gust of wind a beautiful female vampire appears right beside me. She looks at me suspicious as her red eyes bore into mine, but she outstretches her hand as soon as she notices Edward’s nod.

“Hello. I’m Bella.” I take her ice cold hand in mine.

“Selene.”

“She’s here.” She turns her head towards the living room, where a sweet melody of a piano floats in the air. I follow silently and enter the crowded room. My eyes land on the instrument and I instantly notice a gorgeous creature sitting close to it, creating this enchanting sound. As soon as the little angel notices me, a huge, captivating smile spreads across her face as she jumps gracefully and runs straight to me. She stops a few feet in front of me, with a smile as bright as the sun shining through the window, and reaches a hand towards me.

“Don’t be afraid. This is how she communicates.” A blonde woman smiles at the little girl.

“I’m not afraid.” I lean forwards and she gently places her hand on my cheek. Millions of thoughts, visions and memories run through my head, but they are not mine. They are hers. I look at her amazed as she lets go of my face and blushes slightly. I chuckle.

“Well, Renesmee, you are very beautiful too.” I smile and squat down beside her. “And very innocent aren’t you?” she giggles sweetly while caressing my long brown locks hanging on the side of my face. Suddenly she takes my hand and tugs me towards the piano.

“She wants to play for you.” Edward informs me with a chuckle.

“She has taken quite a liking towards you.” Esme’s sweet laugh rings through the room. I smile as the little angel pulls me towards the instrument. We both sit on the chair as the sweet melody fills the room again.

All of the people in the room get back to their chatter. I notice all of the Cullen family discussing something further away from me. Edward’s endless efforts to get inside my head still continue. He gets tired of it all and finally asks me the question, that, I suppose, has been nagging all of them for a while, using the ordinary way.

“Selena, Carlisle said that you have been hiding your whole life. He refuses to tell us the reason why, unless you decide to reveal the secret.” His voice attracts the attention of every person in the room. I assume, all of them are astonished by my mysteriousness. “We understand if you want to keep it to yourself..”

“..But we want to know for the safety of our daughter.” Bella interrupts him. I understand them completely. With their lives on the line, more importantly their daughter’s life on the line, they don’t need more problems than they already have. And the fact that they are completely innocent makes me rage with fury and hate the filthy ‘royal’ coven that I have been hiding from my whole life. I decide that it’s time to come out of the shadows. Time to come out and face everything the future holds.

“My gift.” I state monotonously. The music stops and my voice receives the whole attention. Their shocked stares bore into my angelic face. “Because of my remarkably powerful gift which even I couldn’t control.”