19. Incontro

I slightly furrow my eyebrows as my eyes observe the vampire’s every move. Slowly and gracefully he walks closer and stops a few feet in front of me. I place a gentle and welcoming expression on my face trying not to intimidate him.

“Yes, of course, Caius.”  My voice flows like a lovely song as I offer the leader a sweet smile. On the other hand, he doesn’t return it.

“You might have bewitched everyone with your fascinating beauty and fake innocence, but it won’t work on me.” He spits bitterly as a wave of shock runs down my spine but I keep my smile on my face.

“I am sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.” I say and furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

“Cut the act, Selena.” He says angrily. “I don’t know what kind of spell you pulled everyone into, but I know the truth about what would have happened in the field with the Cullens.”

My smile vanishes. I slight glare forms on my face as my gaze burns holes in his red, blood-thirsty eyes. His lips shape into a mocking smirk as he realizes he got broke my act.

“Aro trusts me enough to tell everything he saw. And I have to admit that I didn’t quite like the part where you attacked us.” He hisses through his teeth as I suppress a growl.

“I was a part of their alliance. They are my family and they were innocent. You were the cause of the fight in the first place, weren’t you, Caius?” He glares at me darkly as his hands clench into fists. “Yours and Aro’s arrogance, morbid need for power would have cost you your whole coven.” Right now it is my time to smirk.

“Choose your words carefully.” Caius raises his head higher and looks at me with even more intense stare than before. Loud noises from the streets interrupt the short silence that both of us created. A few moments later he breathes out an unnecessary gust of air and I resume our conversation.

“What is it really that you have come all the way here, Caius? It sure isn’t just to torment me for something that never even happened.” I lock my arms across my chest and look intensively at my interlocutor.

“Yes, indeed. It didn’t happen in the past. But I am here to warn you that it wouldn’t happen in the future.” His voice sounds dangerous and deadly as his eyes glare darkly into mine. “Aro never revealed me your true gift and I am not counting on you to do it, but he did mention that it is powerful enough to destroy a coven.” I breathe in a cold whiff of air and bite my lip. Like a gust of wind Caius appears a few inches in front of me and looks down into my eyes with a deadly glare. “But I am not afraid of you. If I find out that you are planning to overthrow us with that traitor coven, I will have your head.”

“Well, now you are just talking nonsense.” I hiss lowly and feel anger rising in me but try to control myself. He smirks and raises his hand to point his pearl white finger at me.

“And don’t think I believe you are genuinely in love with Alec.” As soon as these words leave his wretched throat my hands fall limp to my sides. “You wrapped him around your gleaming little finger.” Anger flows through my empty veins and my view blurs into an angry red color. “You are only playing a part that the Cullens assigned you to.” His voice sickens me and without thinking I angrily slap his hand away from my face.

“Don’t you dare accuse me of such an impossible absurdity!” I raise the tone in my voice and glare fiercely at him. “You have no right to say such things about me! No right!” My voice drips with foul hatred and abomination. “Your sick and twisted mind can’t possibly even comprehend what real love is and how strong my feelings for Alec are! I pity you for that!” Finish my speech with a low growl. He looks at me betrayed and dishonored and whispers silently.

“I don’t care about any of your insignificant feelings. Just so you know, if you do anything questionable, I won’t hesitate to destroy you, your traitorous coven and your lover boy.” I bite my lip out of anger and glare mercilessly directly into his red orbs.

“You’re not the only one to make threats. So if something happens to my family or Alec I will most certainly reveal my gift to you. And we’ll see who will destroy whom.” I spit out slowly for him to register. We both smirk the other’s way and he steps back from me. He doesn’t look fazed by my words but his eyes give out a slight fear.

“I believe we’ve understood each other.” He says and hides his clenched fists behind his black cloak.

“I believe we have.” I say and once again offer him a smile. This time he returns it.

“Have a lovely stay, my lady.” With these last words he leaves the room and as soon as I hear his footsteps fade far away I turn towards the table and knock down a vase full of lovely flowers out of anger. It tumbles down and crashes into millions of small particles. Slowly my anger starts to fade as I breathe in air and cool off my insides.

I decide to take a walk around the castle and immediately think of a nice place to relax. Slowly I walk towards the door and pull it open. The light from my room invades the darker hall but soon fades as I close the door and like a gust of wind appear near the entrance to the lovely garden.

I gently pull the snow white curtains out of my way and climb down three steps made out of dark wood. I find myself in a fascinating place full of impressing sculptures that are made out of bushes, tall exotic trees and colorful flowers. They bloom all over the green lawn and cover almost the entire garden. Soft colors of white, red, purple and yellow cascade throughout the field with a few pink and blue glimpses that appear on some small parts of the garden.

But that is not what catches my eye the most. In the distance I notice a small pond with a nice, little bridge above it. My feet step one in front another and this way I slowly walk down a grey gravel filled path towards the magnificent creation.

I breathe in delicious smells of the flowers surrounding me and forget about the encounter that happened a few moments ago. I try to not pay attention to my glowing skin and relax my muscles.

Soon I reach the bridge and climb up to its center so I could admire the whole view. I lean forward and put my arms onto the side of the bridge and close my eyes.

Suddenly, followed by a gust of wind, I feel two cold hands wrap around my waist from behind. Soon I find my back pressed against a hard as rock chest. I recognize the lovely sweet scent almost immediately and loose myself into my lover’s arms. An unmistakable, unimaginably beautiful smile spread across my face as my dead stone heart gives out a beat. He gently moves my hair out of my back and presses a cold, paralyzing and pleasant kiss onto my neck. His lips move to up to my left ear as his angelic voice whispers to me.

“Found you.”