Trust is only a word.

The rest of my few weeks had passed on easily, I avoided hanging out with Klay for a while but we still texted.  Ever since that day at the movies I just didn't want to leave the house, it was easier to just study with my teacher during the day, eat fating foods on the couch, and talk to Aiden who didn't bother to come by as often anymore because Ash and he found places to sneak and hang out. He still stopped by every so often when Ash was busy with football, and I more times found us talking about Ash. I was jealous, I mean it was nice texting Klay but I missed Aiden. He was almost like my own boyfriend without the problems. Sometimes I imagined if Aiden wasn't a homosexual. Could we have worked out? Would that even be such a thing?  Nothing worked out like that, not even with my own brother. Who left the day after we had gotten mad at each other. It wasn't my fault at all, I stuffed some cream in my mouth and stared at the TV as I heard the door open. I knew it wasn't Aiden.

"Hope!" My mom called out and I stood up walking into the kitchen she held many bags.

"I got the turkey today." I nodded as the door was still open, I took a half step to go close it but a dark skinned guy walked in carrying bags. I took a half step back.

"You can put them right here Lee." My mom said and I eyed her, as if I needed to be informed about something. My mom looked at me;

"Oh, Hope. This is Lee. Lee this is Hope."  Lee smiled, he was extremely dark, yet his teeth were almost a pure snow white. He had strong facial features and I had to admit he was quite handsome, I was sure he was a lot older than my mom but his face didn't show a single blemish.  He was even free of facial hair, everything was endlessly smooth.

"Ah, Hope." His accent was thick, he was straight from Africa. I now knew why he had such amazing features. He pulled off his hat, and bowed. I felt my face flush, this was all new to me. I was confused, was this my mom's boyfriend?

"I-is Lee your real name?" He smiled and laughed.

"No, it is easier for Americans to call me Lee as my home name is complicated for many." If this guy was my mom's boyfriend this would explain why she was never home! Was she lying to me? All this time?

"It's nice to meet you." I said and left the kitchen, as I did my mom came after me.

"Hey Hope, can you finish putting these up? I need to run back to the store, I forgot the cranberry sauce and the yams." She giggled like a schoolgirl, her face was flush and she was lit up. I loved seeing her like this, so I faked a smile.

"Alright mom." I said re-entering the kitchen and Lee and mom exited the front door and I sighed. This was how I spent my Thursday evenings? At home, and now packing away groceries? I silently put away the food items and then tucked the bags inside the drawer where we kept all of the plastic bags. Today was shaping out to be just like any other day, I went back into the living room and picked my cream back up.

A few hours went by with me watching TV and eating, and texting Klay and whenever Aiden felt the need him as well. My mom had returned with Lee and they were in the kitchen chattering on, Lee was actually a pretty decent guy. He gave off a comfortable vibe and I would be glad if mom was seeing him, but it broke my heart to think that she and dad were not going to get back together. I had always hoped that they would see each other and that spark would come back. It never happened like that, only in movies. That was the only way it happened, everything in life was real and it never happened like that in movies. I heard the chattering stop and mom entered the living room.

"Hope, we are going out for dinner. You don't mind do you?" She asked and I looked at the time. It was about six in the afternoon and the sun was setting.

"No, have fun." I said without looking up and I knew my mom glared at me. She left and I heard her climb the stairs, Lee followed. Who exactly was this guy anyways and how did they meet? Mom never led me on that she was dating someone. It angered me a little bit, but I was very happy for her at the same time. Though what shocked me was that my mom didn't seem like the type to date outside her color. Not that she was racist, but she just seemed more comfortable in her own little circle. I was glad she did though, she needed a change. I was having mixed feelings about the whole thing but I would learn to get along with it and make peace.