16.

Chapter 16

Sarah

Sarah felt the blood drain from her face as she stared into the face of Michael. She knew his whiny voice from the clinic when he had gotten into it with Datrim. The fact that he had followed them out here wasn't what was bothering her the most, however. The gun that glinted in the full moon was what had caused her to still and her breath to catch in her throat. Beside him stood Seth, his posture was victorious as if he had just won the last battle of a great war. The smile on his face showed his deadly fangs, but it was the lustful look in his eyes as he raked them over Willow that had made Sarah tempted to reach into her soul and allow the darkness that slumbered there out.

She squelched that thought as Michael stepped forward his face twisted with fury and hatred. Sarah had no idea what it was that they could have done to the young wolf as they had only met the once. She did remember him saying something to Datrim that day but that had been through the fog of pain. He squatted down close to her and Sarah inched ever so slightly in front of Willow trying to shield her body from Seth's lustful glare. Pain rippled through her muscles like a tidal wave crashing through a town. She had to work very hard not to show the effects of the pain on her face as she met Michaels glare with one of her own.

"After you die I will watch that pathetic Alpha's downfall with so much glee. Then I shall take over and become the Alpha this pack needs." Michael waved the weapon in front of her face.

"And our resident human here shall become the personal pet to this wonderful vampire here. I thought about just shipping you both back to Sephtis where you belong but that would just give Payton something to fight for. I really had hoped you had finished the mating ceremony completing the bond first but even now he will feel your loss deep within his soul."

Sarah looked to Willow whose face had gone completely white then back to Michael. The disgust on his face curled her stomach and she had to physically stop herself from losing the dinner she had eaten a mere hour before.

"Why are you telling me this if your plan is simply to kill me?" She knew she was stalling but it was worth it in her mind.

"I just thought it would be nice if you knew why you were dying. Call it a courtesy if you will." Michael's voice once again took on its whiny demeanor.

Sarah felt the darkness reaching its inky black tendrils toward the wall that kept her and her wolf separated. She felt a jolt of panic at the idea that the darkness might swallow her wolf whole but was relieved when it halted its progression. Her eyes darted to Willow who had her gaze glued to the vampire in front of her. She knew that with her current state there was no way she was going to be able to fight off both the vampire and the werewolf. As another round of pain wound its way through her body she knew that there was no way they were going to be able to make a run for it either.

"I guess that makes you a murdering gentleman then doesn't it?" She moved a little closer to Willow nudging her towards the tree line. She knew that if they were going to have to fight then they needed to do so in the open of the fields. If the pack was patrolling tonight and she was sure they were, she wanted there to be a chance of them being seen. As she moved inch by inch it seemed as if Michael either didn't see or didn't care. Saliva dripping from Seth's extended fangs caught the light of the moon and Sarah shivered at the thought of them sinking into her flesh. Not that the thought of the gun Michael so carelessly waved around in front of her brought her much joy.

Michael raised the barrel of the weapon and pointed it strait at Sarah's face and Sarah couldn't help but flinch. She used the last of her strength to push Willow the rest of the way out of the tree line and watched the human take off at a dead run having gotten the meaning of her earlier movements. Seth tore off after her and Sarah was certain that she wouldn't get very far before the vampire caught up to her. She turned back to Michael who was smirking at her now as if to say that her efforts didn't really matter as he once again aimed the gun at her. Sarah readied herself for what was bound to be a glorious display of pain, her most beautiful dance yet.