14.

Chapter 14

Sarah

The sounds of footsteps were barely audible over the sound of hearts crazy music. Sarah didn't move from her spot, not even daring to open her eyes in the dim light of the cage. She knew from hungers bite that it had been a while since pack breaker had come for a visit. Breathing in and out through her nose she willed heart to stop and pain to visit another day. She was not in the mood for visitors, even her long time friends. But heart did not stop and pain did not go away although both seemed to dim a bit. Sarah made to move against the cage wall but found that her arms were unbound and the wall and dirt were soft to the touch. She took in yet another deep breath and missed the smell of dirt and damp and blood. She began to wonder if the camp had moved yet again while she was out but even that made no sense to her. Even if the camp had moved there would be no reason for the cage to be soft.

The wiggle in the corner of her mind brought her focus inward as she searched for the movement. She didn't go too deep fear of the darkness that lay there. But there close to the middle was a wolf. Its grey coat shot through with bits of black and red. Its eyes a soft brown. It jumped about happily as it surged toward her. Sarah thought she should be afraid but rather she found the creature such a great comfort to her that she wanted to pet it.

It has been days. I am so glad you are ok.

The wolf spoke softly in her mind. Sarah stared at the creature for a while unsure if she should talk back to it.

You must wake up now; there is much to be done. Our mate is out there and so is our friend. We must help Willow.

Flashes of the young woman with the mass of curly hair and soft eyes ran through her mind. Willow had fed her while she was in the cage, She had helped her escape the cage and they had run for their lives. Willow had tried to help her fight off the vampire Seth and followed her without complaint when she had the idea to get help from other packs. Willow was her only friend. Voices in the room got louder and Sarah pulled away from her wolf with great reluctance as she began to pay attention to what was being said.

"I'm telling you Datrim the woman has truly been abused. She's covered in scars and bruises that are healing slowly. There are god damn bite marks covering every inch of her body." A rather angry voice sounded off as they neared.

"She did say that she was a slave Remy, what did you expect?" Datrim's voice was deeper and smoother almost bored. Sarah remembered Datrim and all that he had done for her. He had fed her and left her alone. He got mad at her when she told him that she had purposely brought the vampire to their boarders but rushed her to the clinic when she had gotten ill.

"She said she was a pet of an Alpha Datrim not his punching bag." Remy seemed to get annoyed with his companion rather quickly.

"And do you think that an Alpha who would capture humans and wolves and turn them into slaves is the kind of wolf who would treat his personal pet like a delicate flower Remy." Datrim emphasized the other man's name in such a way that if she weren't trying to keep still and quiet she would have started to laugh uncontrollably.

"Well, since you put it that way I guess not. But still, it makes me sick to think about what these girls have gone through." Remy sounded resigned and tired all of a sudden. All the fight having left his voice.

"Not just these two. Willow said that there are hundreds of wolves and humans that are slaves to this man all over the world." Sadness crept into Datrim's voice steeling the spot where arrogance usually stood.

"It's a wonder that we have never heard about this before." A new voice popped into the conversation. Sarah felt her wolf start jumping yet again as the new voice entered the room and came toward where she was laying.