chapter five

Chapter Five: Prefect Patrols 

Tuesday had passed by in the a breeze. Eleanor was excited for Astronomy, however getting out of the Common Room at 12 am, seemed harder. Looking at the stars reminded her of home, when her Father and her would stay out in the garden and stargaze. The Edward Manor was far away from city so that the night sky was always filled with most stars, and Eleanor always admired them. Her father would point to where the stars were and name them for Eleanor. The two would often sneak chocolates and sweets out with them, and some nights Evelyn would join the two. 

Currently, Eleanor sat in Charms, constantly looking over at her black watch that sat carefully on her left wrist. From the moment she had awaken at sunrise, all she could think about was Malfoy and their patrol today. Parts of her were completely scared, but there was something else, some parts of her that was excited, although Eleanor wouldn't even dare to admit it. She didn't have the slightest clue what to do, where to meet him, or how they would patrol. Eleanor tried at breakfast to approach the blonde, but got scared and intimidated by the amount of people he was sitting next to him. 

As Professor Flitwick ended the lesson, Hermione stood and waited for Eleanor. Hermione quickly picked up that something was wrong with Eleanor, she was never this anxious about anything. Exiting the classroom together, Hermione questioned her friend. 

"Are you feeling well?" 

"I am just worried about patrols today." Hermione nodded her head understanding. Hermione was glad that she didn't have to do patrols with Malfoy, at least Eleanor was a pureblood. Hermione always thought how weird it was that Malfoy never once insulted Eleanor, at least to her face. He always threw insults at Ron, Harry, and to herself, but even when Eleanor was with them, he never once in the past five years said anything rude to the girl. Hermione noticed all these things but never spoke them aloud. 

"Most of the fifth years patrol the fifth floor, at least thats what we did, but I'm sure the rules for all the fifth year prefect are the same." Hermione explained. Eleanor nodded her head, her stomach still turning in circle. She wasn't afraid of Malfoy at all, really there was nothing scary about him at all. He was just a boy, Eleanor repeated to herself over and over again. She just nervous, that was just it. 

That afternoon, once classes had ended, Eleanor sat on the grass of the courtyard, surrounded by Hermione, Ron, Harry. Eleanor noticed the faded scars on Harry's left hand, but decided not to say anything. Harry was unusually quiet, looking around the courtyard at the different people, his eyes lingering on the spot where Cedric Diggory used to sit with his friends. When he looked at her, Eleanor offered him a soft smile, which he nodded his head to. Hermione was trying to explain something to Ron, to which the ginger just could not understand. 

George and Fred spotted the group of four sitting, and decided to plant themselves right next to them. George sat next to Eleanor, petting Nala, whom had been laying peacefully in front of Eleanor. George and Eleanor were close, with George taking Eleanor to the Yule Ball previously. The two went as friends, but had a complete blast with Fred and Angelina. That was Eleanor's favorite memories from her fourth year. 

She smiled at the twins, before asking what they were up to. They were always up to something. Fred immediately went on about a new invention they created, and pulled out a few candies for the group to look. Even Hermione couldn't deny that the two were smart in their creation. 

The weather was nice outside, it was sunny but it wasn't the summer heat. It beginning stages of fall, and the wind was a nice touch. Eleanor thought about having a butterbeer with a slice of pumpkin pie, she was getting hungry and it was nearly dinner. 

"I am completely famished," Eleanor spoke, leaning her head against George's shoulder. The rest of her friends laughed as the girl rubbed her belly. 

"I agree." Ron added.

"Ron, when are not hungry," Fred responded to his younger brother. 

"Always eating," George finished. 

The group of now six laughed at the banter between the brothers as they stood up from their spot and made their way into the Great Hall. It was starting to fill in slowly, Eleanor waved goodbye to her friends and sat next to Cho and Anthony. The Ravenclaw table was also fun to sit at during meals, there was always a debate of some sort, and Eleanor likes to participate. 

* * * 

Eleanor fixed the prefect badge on her robe, and tucked her wand into pocket, before exiting the Common Room. She hadn't spoken to Malfoy on where they would meet for the patrol, so Eleanor had no idea was to expect. Taking her time, walking down the stair, Eleanor calmed her breathing. She reminded herself that Malfoy was just a boy, and nothing more. He wasn't a monster that was going to eat her. As Eleanor got to the bottom of the stairs and onto the fifth floor, Draco Malfoy was already for her. He hands were shoved into the pockets of his pants, and he looked down at his feet. Eleanor figured she could run back up the stairs but being a prefect was her duty. 

"Malfoy." Eleanor cleared her throat and the blonde looked up at her. 

"Edwards." Draco Malfoy nodded his head. The two walked side by side, Eleanor resisted the urge to look at the blonde next her. It had been twenty minute and neither one of them had said a word to each other. They were just walking down each corridor and so far they had found one Gryffindor third year girl walking around, to which Draco took five points from and told her to get back to the Common Room. 

The silence was killing Eleanor. She enjoyed quiet time, but this silence was making her throat really dry. Malfoy's cologne was also suffocating Eleanor, but in a good way. Eleanor liked the smell of the cologne, it smelled like fresh mint, a burst of bergamot and exhilarating pepper. Eleanor coughed lightly, before asking a question. 

"How was your summer?" Draco Malfoy looked over at smaller girl. He hadn't expect her to speak first, leaving him surprised at first. It took him awhile to respond as he thought about his summer, obviously he knew about Voldemort's return, however anything he had heard at Malfoy Manor over the summer he was forbidden to talk about it at Hogwarts or to anyone else. Draco Malfoy always knew the Edwards girl, even when they were younger. It was rare for him to even see her at the Ministry parties, and even if she was there she stuck close to her parents and uncle. He had only spoken to her once when they were younger, and Draco would never admit to anyone, other than his mother, that he fancied the girl. Her bright blue eyes that always shined or how she was kind to everyone. Draco was upset that she wasn't sorted into Slytherin, but even more so when she became friends with Potter and his friends. Draco realized he was taking awhile to answer. 

"Fine. Yours?" 

"It was nice, my Uncle came back from his travels, he enjoyed America far too much, and brought some things back for me." Eleanor smiled. 

"That sounds nice. I stayed pretty much at home." Eleanor was happy that at least they were making small talk.

"I went out a few times, tried new cafe shops and some bookshops. There was one in London, which was absolutely amazing. Who knows how many books there actually are in the world, it's bloody brilliant. And it's so hard to pick one too. " Draco smiled at the girl's rambling. 

"Books are a wonder," Draco agreed with the brunette. The two walked around for awhile, once again in silence, however this silence was different, it was more comfortable. Eleanor didn't want the rest of the year to be in complete silence with the blonde. Understanding that her mother wanted her to be away from the boy, Eleanor didn't see a harm in being friends with him for the sake of being a prefect. 

The two continued their small talk for the next two hours, Eleanor even managing to crack a smile onto the face of Draco Malfoy. They discussed their classes and old memories. Around 12 am, Draco escorted Eleanor back to Ravenclaw Tower, before bidding her goodnight. 

Eleanor walked upstairs to her room, a sudden ball of happiness erupting inside the girl. She didn't know what the feeling was, but she did go to bed with a smile on her face. 

like. comment. share.