prologue

Thomas Edwards sat, the gleam of an orange light hitting his face, with a cup of whiskey at his hand

Thomas Edwards sat, the gleam of an orange light hitting his face, with a cup of whiskey at his hand. He hadn't taken a sip yet, just intently staring into the fire. To the right of him, the open letter sat on the table. Thomas blinked away the tears as he closed his eyes. He didn't know what to feel. There were too many emotions, that he couldn't understand. He was only twenty- one. His eyes moved upward, at the portrait of himself and his wife. No doubt, to him, she was the most beautiful thing to grace this world. Thomas considered himself lucky, to have married the love of his life, most don't. Despite, only being a year younger than him, Thomas fell in love with Evelyn Beaulieu during his sixth year and her fifth year. Despite the different years and houses, he was completely taken by her. Now four years later, they were happily married, however news stuck them that Evelyn could not bare children of her own. This tore Evelyn apart, especially seeing others enjoy the joys of motherhood. For their sake, the newly wed couple never told anyone, other than family members.

Hearing an apparition, Thomas turned his head to see his brother, Theodore Edwards. Theodore, still wearing his Slytherin robes, his hair a mess and his eyes wide.

"I reckon, Mcgonagall sent you?" Thomas asked, placing his drink on the table next to the letter. Theodore nodded his head, walking towards his brother, who slowly stood up.

"I was studying, when she came and discretely told me what was happening. Brother, is it true? Does Evelyn know? How is she?" Theodore Edwards was finishing his final year at Hogwarts, at best with the luring terror of Lord Voldemort.

"Evelyn is doing her best. She is upstairs getting ready. I suppose Dumbledore is on his way. Theo, if what Dumbledore said was true, then this child, this child can save us. Evelyn and I can finally have our own family. I want you to be there with us, Theo. I don't know what to feel right now." Thomas and Theodore replied on each other much more than they would care to admit. Merely at the age of nineteen, with Theodore being fifteen, their father had passed leaving Thomas to care for his younger brother and inheriting the house.

"Tommy, you deserve this chance of happiness. Both you and Evelyn do." The younger Edwards stopped speaking as he heard footsteps coming near them. Both men turned to look at Evelyn Edwards making their way towards them. Theodore smiled at his sister- in- law.

"Theodore, when did you come?" Evelyn asked quietly as she made her way towards them.

"Just now, how are you doing?"

"Scared, but hopeful. I just wonder if it's a girl or boy. I surely do hope it's a girl." Evelyn smiled softly. Thomas smiled, his wife's presence easing every worry in his body.

All the nerves, however, returned into the three Edwards as a knock came from the front door. Thomas, immediately held onto Evelyn's hand, as they made their way to the front door, exiting the library. Theodore, opened the front door, to see Dumbledore and Snape, both standing there.

"Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape, welcome," Theodore opened the door for the two men, as Evelyn and Thomas lead to towards the library once more. All three of them couldn't ignore the small bundle of lavender hidden away in Snape's arm.

Once settled at the library, Evelyn didn't break away her stare from the bundle in Snape's arm.

"Water, anyone?" Thomas asked. Dumbledore nodded his head as Thomas called out to his house elf. "Millie, could you bring us some water?" The house elf, reappeared with five glasses of water and placed on the table that the five surrounded.

"Severus, please do hand the child to Ms. Edwards. She seems eager to see her." Dumbledore glanced at Evelyn, who still hadn't taken her eyes off the bundle.

"Her? It's a girl?" Evelyn looked at Dumbledore, as Snape handed Evelyn the lavender bundle. Dumbledore smiled and nodded. Evelyn looked down at the baby, her blue eyes popping out as she made small noises with bubbles coming out of her mouth. Thomas looked down at the baby, as Theodore made his way behind the couple to see his new niece.

"Dumbledore, is it true? She is His daughter." Thomas spoke up, looking up from the baby.

"Yes indeed, which is why I sent the letter. I am also aware of your conditions and I trust that this baby will be raised with the upmost of love and light. But, do heed my warning, Mr. Edwards, when the time comes, I have no doubt in my mind that the Dark Lord will return. And when he does, he will want her, his heir, back. I am sure that he will extend to no means to get her back. I am trusting her to tell her the truth of her parentage when the time comes. Until then, I hope you are well with your family." Dumbledore nodded his head as him and Snape stood up towards the door. "Also, Mr. Edwards," Theodore looked at the Headmaster, "please do come tomorrow morning to Hogwarts. You may spend tonight with your family."

like. comment. share.