Chapter 13: No Room For Mistakes

*****Stephano’s POV*****

My head was pounding, causing me to audibly groan before I realized where I was.

“Shhh!” an unseen body whispered.

I instantly clasped a golden hand over my mouth and shook my head. It was a rookie mistake that I’d just made in this ridiculous maze of a castle. Two, more like it. First, I let that idiot of an adventurer out of my sight, and second, I’d possibly revealed my position, though I wasn’t quite sure where I was at all. While trying to clear my mind and gain awareness of where I stood, my mind flashed to Pewdie, who was probably all alone, crying somewhere.

“Jesus Christ, Pewdie, I hope you’re okay.” I said in my mind, hopping off what seemed to be a shelf and landing on a desk just below.

A nearby chair was my next landing spot as I made my way to the floor to figure out where my companion might have disappeared to. My mind raced with all the possibilities. After all, this was a castle, and not a small one by any means. He could have gone anywhere in the castle. He could have even…. No, no. Let’s not think about that, Stephano, I told myself.

I slowly made my way down the corridor in the odd direction of a path of scattered, yet withering rose petals, which littered the floor in an odd way. The aroma of something sweet and gentle enveloped me, but I forced myself to keep moving in the intended direction. Though I fought incredibly hard to keep my focus, the enticing scent of whatever it was that generally smelled like sugar, though tainted with something deadly, whispered for me to turn down another corridor.

Just as I turned for the area which the smell wafted from, a loud, shrill shriek broke the trancelike state I’d fallen into, and I remembered where I’d been going. A series of shouts and very clear Swedish curses led me to a large iron door with an unnecessarily large lock upon it. From just inches in front of it, I could hear muffled crying.

“Oh! God! Stephano, where are you? Stephano, HELP!”

Rolling my eyes at how obvious he was being, I pushed against the door, which, to my surprise, had not been locked. A flickering light illuminated the small dungeon like room. Hay covered the floor in a thick blanket. A disheveled Pewds lay across the floor, a large shadowy figure hovering above him, ready to strike. I cleared my throat, and Pewdie looked at me.

“STEPHANO!” he yelled.

The shadow beast turned to stare at me, causing a shiver to rocket through me. He had a very defined face, though the only features on it seemed to be two stone cold eyes and an unsmiling mouth, which was rather close to its eyes. The thing shot toward me, a smoky trail lagging behind the head. A female voice called from down the hallway, catching the beast’s attention.

“Cry! Oh, Cry? Where are you, boy? It’s time for dinner!” she called in a singsong voice.

At the young woman’s calls, the creature slithered away in the direction of her voice, which also seemed to be the vicinity of the sugary aroma that had just returned.

“Oh! Stephano! I’m so glad to see you, buddy. I thought I was lost forever!” Pewdie rambled, getting off the floor and dusting stray bits of straw off his clothes.

I rolled my eyes and smiled at the familiarly frightened boy, then looked down, feeling rather embarrassed for some reason. Pewdie reached down to pick me up as I began to speak.

“Oh please, Pewds. I could hear you screaming from a mile away, you little…” I trailed off at the end.

“What did you call me, Stephano?” he asked, looking rather closely at my face.

I looked down.

“I said… You’re a wussy.”

He chuckled softly and we started out, trying to find our way to the center of the castle once more, so that Pewdie might have a chance at returning to Sweden. As we walked, it became eerily silent. The more we walked, the quieter it became, until not a single thing could be heard, not even the comforting sound of Pewdie’s breath.

I watched his face intently, focusing primarily on his handsome blue eyes that seemed to be very merry and alive in the candlelight. As we walked, the lack of sound seemed to get under my skin. I felt very uneasy, but I tried to mask it, knowing that if he sensed any sort of fear in me, all hope would be lost. Looking deeper into Pewdie’s eyes as he focused on other things around us, I felt a bit calmer, and my heart did not beat so fast. Suddenly, he glanced downward toward me.

My cheeks grew hot and I looked away, avoiding eye contact with my best friend. Pewdie laughed quietly, which made me shiver. In some way, he was affecting me, and I just didn’t understand it.

As we walked, the sounds of us walking through the corridors and chambers of the castle leaked back in, and I felt more at ease.

“Pewds?” I asked, yawning.

“Hm?” he replied, glancing back down at me.

“Can you tell me,” I began, pausing to yawn again. “What’s it like in Sweden?”

Pewdie smiled and we stopped in one of the rooms with a lock which we’d obtained the key for. He set me down on the bed while he barricaded the door with chairs, seeing how exhausted I’d become in the last day or so, though time was incredibly hard to keep track of in the castle. I fussed about with the covers as I watched him, ensuring that we’d be safe for an hour’s rest or so. Then, he came to the large bed in the corner, close to a fireplace. He stopped to light a fire, which crackled with life, creating soft noise to lull me to sleep.

Then, Pewdie took his spot beside me in bed, laughing at how sleepy I was.

“Just tell me about Sweden?” I asked, rubbing my eyes.

“Sweden is sort of like it is outside of here. There’s a beautiful sky, a big pale moon, and lots of wonderful people. In town, there are lots of apartment complexes. I live… or, lived, in one, near the top of the building. People are pretty friendly there. It’s always like, ‘Oh, hi, Felix! How are you? How is Marzia?’ or, ‘Oh my God, you’re PewDiePie.” He explained.

“So they know you there. They know the real you. The you that you’ve been hiding from me.” I said carefully.

“I’ve not been hiding anything from you except my real name, but you know it.” He replied simply.

I sighed, knowing he was purposely hiding something else from me.

“Who is Marzia?” I managed to ask through a yawn.

“I don’t even remember much of her. She was beautiful when I last saw her, and I’m positive she still is. I… I love her.  But I don’t know if she even remembers me. It’s had to have been at least a year since I left Sweden. I miss her.” He whispered sadly.

I looked away from Pewdie, feeling an unfamiliar pain in my heart.

“I’m sorry.”

Author's Note:

Hiya guys, it's me.

I'm just here to say that I'm sorry that I haven't been writing lately on time. Sorry! D: I got grounded for a while.. o:

Anyways.. Hope you enjoyed!

--S.