Chapter 8: A Candle's Flame

*****Pewdie’s POV*****

By a candle’s flickering flame, which I had stolen from a small sconce on the wall, I saw before me where I must journey. A long, intimidating corridor, with minimal lighting stretched before me. Looking around, I could see the grimy walls of the dungeon, along with cells that looked just as uncomfortable as my arrangements had been. Even so, my captors were nowhere in sight.

Taking a deep breath and running through all my methods of concealment in the event that I should come across the bro, a barrel, or an untrustable statue, I prepared to take my first step in the direction of pure darkness. 1…2…3… I mentally counted down, taking my first step toward somewhere unknown. Walking down the hall, I had to keep reminding myself to look forward. With every few steps I took, a new noise, such as a peculiar clanking or a vicious growling, tempted me to look back, turn around, and hide in my cell. Instead, I continued to walk, one foot in front of the other, toward the exit.

“Pewdie?” an all too familiar, raspy voice called from the shadows.

I stopped in my tracks and gulped. No, keep going! My mind tried to coax me forward, but my body remained frozen. After I pinched myself, forcing myself to move, I realized what had just happened. That voice, I could not put my finger on. It was familiar as an enemy’s voice, yet it might even be someone close to me. Who the hell was that? I coughed, hoping the feeling of dread would melt away as soon as I was in the safe company of Stephano, who I knew would be waiting somewhere after the door that led out of this hellhole.

Suddenly, something happened that chilled me to the bone. Hot, heavy, sticky breathing hit my neck, making my hair stand on end. I was sweating from the unbearable heat in the dungeon, being so close to the furnace room. I tried to hold my breath and keep walking, but as soon as my foot touched the ground, I face planted. With nothing to hold onto, not even my candle, I was forcefully dragged backward into the darkness from where I’d just come. Large, cold hands wrapped around my feet. Then, when I was no longer dragging my face along the filthy ground, a knee made rough contact with the center of my back. I was gagged, blindfolded, and thrown into a dark, cold place.

I kicked my way to the back corner of the room. Whimpering, my chest rose and fell unevenly. Though I tried to be brave as my companion Stephano would be, I was unable to stop a flow of hot tears onto my cheeks. My hands were bound tightly behind my back, and there was now a rip in my shirt across the back. Struggling, I spat out the grimy piece of cloth that had been shoved into my mouth. “I wish Stephano was here…” I whispered into the still air.

“Pewdie?” a deep voice with a French accent to it whispered.

“W-who is that?” I stammered in a normal voice.

“It is I, Stephano! Stupid Swede.” The now familiar voice whispered.

Fumbling in the dark, I looked for Stephano, but he found his way to me before that could happen. He happily unbound me with his golden sword. Even though it was dark, I could tell he had that I-save-your-butt-too-much look on his face. I sighed and rubbed at my wrists while my eyes started to adjust more to the darkness, and Stephano began to come into view. “You know, I thought you were dead.” I whispered, frowning.

“And I thought you were being stupid.” Stephano said back, a big grin on his face.

I pouted and adjusted my headphones. “Hey, I’m not all that dumb, am I?”

The small golden figure coughed a little, holding back laughter. As he attempted to calm himself back down, I could see his teeth biting hard on his lip. My pout turned into an angry glare as he busted into laughter and fell on the floor, clutching his sides. “P…Pewdie… You’re worse…than a five year old!... You’re not a… a Viking!” he forced through spells of laughter.

My crystal blue eyes watered and my face felt hot. I blinked a few times, hoping that would keep me from crying in front of Stephano, but it didn’t. Thank God it was dark, or he’d laugh even harder at how much of a baby I was being. Using the worn heels of my shoes, I wedged myself deeper into the corner of the room where my tears would be further cloaked by lack of light. Struggling, I tried to keep my sobs quiet, but I had the feeling Stephano heard me.

His raspy laughter ceased, leaving only tense silence. I felt a hand on my shin, but I curled up tighter into a little ball, hoping to block him out. I could feel the sudden change in atmosphere as he relaxed and realized that he’d probably hurt me. The more he tried to get me to open up, the tighter I pulled myself in. I heard him sigh in a tone I never thought I’d hear from him. He was giving up. The clang of metal as he dropped his sword onto the ground rang in my ears. Golden feet shuffling on the floor made me uncoil a little to peek at him.

Stephano, worn out and dejected, made his way to a pile of hay on the cold ground and plopped down. I could hear him mumbling unhappily to himself, but the words were very unclear to me. I heard my name, Felix, and a few other grumbled words. I loosened a little more, staring at my dear friend Stephano, my lip quivering. The sound of him being upset was not something I was used to, and it shocked me. Not only did it mean he had real feelings, but it made me very afraid.

Without his solid, confident, tough personality, there was no way to know for sure that he would, or could, protect me. Maybe at our moment of greatest need, he would fall to his knees in tears. Perhaps he would lay there in his heap of straw and never bother to adventure again. This would be my fault.

So I waited for Stephano to begin to doze off. Once his eyelids shut, I slipped over to him, scooping my buddy up and lying in a bigger pile of hay. No matter how much I missed my warm bed at home in Sweden, I knew that if I returned without him, I would miss the companionship of my dearest Stephano a thousand times more.

A/N: Hello, bros! It's the author here, trying to tell you some stuff about this story, PewDiePie, and other things. Okies, so this isn't the BEST chapter I've ever written, but I kinda based it off where you guys wanted me to go with the story, based on the comments I got on previous chapters. I'm not giving any details away as far as this story goes, but yeah..
Also, for any of you bros with a Facebook account, PLEASE go like the page

Barrel Resistance Organization (B.R.O Army)

Cos every like helps Piggeh, Stephano, Mr. Chair, and Santa get up and admin a little better.
I think that's all I have to tell you guys about this chapter, except to kindly ask for feedback of any kind. :) I love all my beautiful fans out there.

Stay awesome, bros!

--Shadow