Chapter 5:Whispers In The Dark

*****Pewdie’s POV*****

                I picked up my companion. We were headed to the heart of the castle, searching for the final way out. I was determined to get there. Even though Stephano wouldn’t like it, I would take him out of the house with me. We would go into the free, living world together, and be bros forever. I twirled him around in my hands. When I stopped, Stephano stared at me. “Jesus, Pewdie, you made me dizzy.” He groaned.

                I laughed and apologized as we progressed through the twisted maze of hallways in the large house. Several doors were missing keys, and soon I found myself hopelessly confused. Feeling exhausted, I began to collapse on the floor, sleep deprivation draining my sanity. My vision rippled as I crumbled, feeling the chilly stone on my skin. I was hot, sweaty, and worn out. Everything blacked out, and with that, I was asleep.

*****Stephano’s POV*****

                I watched from a few feet away as Pewdie fell asleep on the ground. I wasn’t happy with him sleeping here, when there was a perfectly good bed just a few feet away. Though, by the looks of it, Pewdie had no choice of walking those extra steps. Groaning, I called Mr. Chair and a few of his friends over, as well as Piggeh and Martin to help me get Pewdie to the bed. Piggeh and Martin helped Pewdie onto the chairs, and they carried him to the bed. Martin picked me up in his rough, unfamiliar hands, and set me on the bed near him.

                I looked confused, but without warning, Martin disappeared. Damn teleporting naked guys and their teleporting powers… The red covers on the bed were fluffy and very comfortable. I snuggled up against the puffy white pillow, feeling sleep tug on my eyelids. Last I looked; Mr. Chair and his friends were keeping watch around the bed. It felt good to finally not worry about our safety and sleep.

                The comforting cradle of the sheets wrapped snugly around me. I felt like I was being hugged by a giant, pudgy bear. The warmth felt good, and after a few minutes I finally gave in. Closing my eyes, I relaxed and drowned myself in sweet, blissful sleep.

*****Some Amount Of Time Later*****

                I woke up with Pewdie’s heavy arm wrapped tightly around me, gripping me to his chest. I looked around, confused. The room was otherwise empty. In his sleep, Pewdie groaned and smacked his lips. I struggled to turn and I looked at him. His eyes were closed peacefully. Tendrils of blonde hair fell across his forehead. His headphones were falling off. I smiled.

                The lighting flickered, and suddenly turned to red. I looked around awkwardly. What the hell’s with the red light? Pewdie stirred uncomfortably and suddenly sat up. He looked distraught and disoriented. I looked up at him, and he let me go. In that moment, I missed his warm embrace around me. “S-stephano…?” he stammered.

                I looked at him and laughed. “Yes, Pewdie?” I chimed.

                He shook his head sleepily. “Where am I?” he asked, holding his forehead with his left hand.

                From my spot on the bed, I could see the worry on his face. The red lights reflected in his deep blue eyes. Pewdie looked around, a clear look of confusion consuming him. “Pewdie, you’re in bed, in the bedroom. Calm down.” I explained.

                Even with my explanation, Pewdie panicked. He got out of the bed and immediately collapsed on the floor. I wriggled out of bed and on to the floor, making my way to Pewdie’s side. “Are you okay?” I asked, worried.

                He nodded and groaned, pulling himself to his feet. Then, he picked me up and we began to journey out. On the way to the hall, Pewdie grabbed a key and grasped it tightly in his rough hands. He was shaky, uneasy, and by the looks of it, very weak, as we trudged toward the corridor. Just outside the door, the scene was terrifying. Mr. Chair and his friends lay shattered and mutilated, parts littering the floor.

                My eyes widened, and I shook my head. It was obvious by the trail of bloody footprints and claw marks that slashed though tapestries that the Bro and his henchmen had been through this area. Perhaps they were aware that Pewdie and I were in hiding. It was possible that on our trek to the room, we had not been careful enough. As we passed the massacre, the air was tense. We looked around cautiously and sorrowfully as we slowly walked through the corridor.

                As we maneuvered through the dark hall, I could feel how shaky Pewdie was. His hand trembled, causing me to shake uncomfortably. Finally, it became too dark to see even a few feet before us, and the boy extracted a lantern from his pack. It was dim, and we were low on oil, but at least we could somewhat see. My distraught companion set me down on a desk and approached a door. Just feet before, the lantern went out.

                I could hear him gulp as the light vanished. He took a few hesitant steps forward and the door before him exploded. My eyes widened, as did his. It looked as though Pewdie might have a heart attack. In fear, he ran down the hall and grabbed me off the desk, in tears. “It’s okay, Pewdie.” I whispered, trying to comfort him.

                He carried me, distraught, into the room and carried me around, setting me down carefully to grab things. I watched him carefully, seeing things were so different in his entire being. In a matter of hours, Pewdie had transformed from a triumphant leader into a sniveling coward. I shook my head. Will he ever be the same?