𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐒𝐇

" 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐒𝐇 "

practice ended soon after the staring-incident and everyone started packing up and went to the locker room to get changed, except for bokuto, akaashi and the managers.

" can we please practice a little longer ? i promise, i'll lock the gym correctly this time. ", the owl boy asked the third year managers with puppy dog eyes.

shirofuku sighed heavily but agreed after bokuto had to promise her pork buns.

" we also need someone to toss the ball. ", he added, hoping one of his fellow students had mercy to stay a little longer with the two boys.

" i have to go home. there's a project that needs to be finished. ", kaori said as she was about to leave the gym.

yukie had to head home immediately too because she was forced to look after her little sister.

" sakurai-chaaaan ? ", bokuto hummed and made puppy dog eyes again.

" yeah, sure. ", she said bluntly and picked up a stray volleyball that was laying on the floor.

" thank you so much ! i'll personally take you home afterwards, i promise ! ", her senior exclaimed excitedly and rushed onto the court.

the girl tossed the ball as good as she could but still couldn't reach bokuto's perfect height.

" i'm sorry, i'll try better. ", she apologised as another ball, that bokuto tried to get over the net, fall on the floor with a small thud.

" no, no, no ! it's totally fine. this is your first time setting a ball to someone, isn't it ? it's okay if you don't get it right. ", the spikey haired boy assured with a smile.

" but you're not able to practice if you can't hit the ball. she's just wasting our time. ", akaashi said emotionless.

after he uttered those words, there was a drop dead silence between the three of them.

" akaashi ! that was so rude ! ", bokuto said to his friend, who just shrugged.

" it's the truth. she's terrible. "

" i'll go then. ", ayaka said, trying to hide how hurt she was by akaashi's words.

she stormed out of the gym and left the school grounds as quick as possible. silent tears running down her soft cheeks.

what a shit show.

the boys were left alone and as bokuto noticed that she wouldn't come back, he started his lecture.

" why are you so mean ? she didn't deserve this. she's a stranger to you, so why did you even say that ? you're always so harsh. "

" that's the way i talk. if she doesn't know what she's doing wrong, she won't be able to improve. i won't encourage her to keep going, even though her sets are awful. ", akaashi explained.

" i still think you should apologise. "

" for being honest ? no way. ", the setter laughed sarcastically.

akaashi always thought about what he was going to say. he didn't care if his words were considered mean or even hurtful. he knew that he was being honest with people and if they couldn't handle that, it was their problem.

" we'll look for her before school starts tomorrow and you're going to apologise ... please ? "

bokuto had a pout on his lips as his eyes begged akaashi to agree with him. the raven haired boy sighed but eventually agreed, giving his friend a boost of serotonin.

the sounds of volleyballs hitting the ground harshly and their shoes squeaking against the gym floor, filled their ears for another hour.

it was like music to their ears.

volleyball wasn't just their hobby, it was their life. there was nothing in the world that they would put more passion and energy into. they rise and fall with their team. the boys focused on nothing but the ball above their heads. the adrenaline rush before every match, that's what they lived for.

after cleaning and locking the gym, akaashi and bokuto walked home together. chatting about what they could improve and how stressful school was.

" do you think she's mad at me ? ", the blue eyed boy asked all of the sudden.

" i thought you didn't care, akaashi. ", bokuto laughed.

" nevermind then. ", akaashi said, rolling his eyes.

" you know, i'm always honest with you ... well, i think she's really fucked up by your shitty attitude. ", his best friend replied honestly.

" but it's not my fault that she's absolutely terrible. "

" you could've said that way nicer to her. "

" why do you care about it anyway ?! ", akaashi said annoyed.

" you were the one that asked for my opinion in the first place ! "

" whatever. "

akaashi turned into the opposite street to head home, leaving bokuto on his own way without saying goodbye.

the owl looking guy wondered why akaashi had such a bad mood. was it because of her ? maybe he was mad at himself for being so mean and even hurting a younger girl with his words.

it was indeed what bokuto thought akaashi bothered about the situation. he saw how hurt she looked after he said those words to her. he tried to ignore it at first, but now that the soft wind was whirling around his thoughts, he couldn't. she locked eyes with the ground and didn't move. her lips were trembling a little and he could swear that she was fighting back tears. the way she looked so hurt, made him loose his mind. he'd been disrespectful to a stranger. the truth was, that he really didn't care earlier but now that he was thinking about her sad face all the way home, he felt slightly guilty and bad for his actions.

akaashi couldn't handle people being upset. that's why he always cheered bokuto up whenever he was in his emo mode.

he would apologise to ayaka first thing when he would arrive at school. of course, only if he'd be able to jump over his own shadow. he was a shy person after all.

thank you for reading && stay safe !

faithfully yours,
greta