Chapter 20

"Already back?" Cassian smirked, looking at the new mates who just came back from their cottage. They hadn't come back since yesterday when Azriel left to confess to Eileánóir. 

"Shut up Cass'" he laughed at Eileánóir's answer. He hadn't seen her since she left for the cottage a week ago. He'd missed her. 

"I missed you, idiot," he smiled at her, taking her in his arms as she laughed. 

"I missed you too, stupid." She felt Cassian pushing her away quickly as she frowned as to why he reacted like that until she saw Azriel's tensed face. She sighed and approached him. 

"Hell no, there's no way you're going to make a scene each time I approach Cass," she said, pointing aggressively at her mate as to scold him. A silence followed until Cassian laughed. 

"She already has you wrapped around her finger Az' be careful," he said to which the red-headed girl turned to face her friend, looking at him dead in the eyes. 

"You're the one who should be careful 'cause if you keep talking I'll kick your ass," she was now pointing at him like she was at her mate a second ago. Again, a silence fell until both of them burst out laughing. Soon everyone was laughing at the situation until a loud sound was heard outside followed by screams. Eileánóir saw everyone locking eyes with each other, trying to understand what had happened until Amren busted into the room making everyone except Azriel who was now surrounded by his shadows and he looked shocked. 

"Velaris is being attacked," Amren and Azriel said together. 

Everyone looked at each other, frozen, not believing what was happening. Eileánóir looked at everyone, confused. "Didn't you say that Velaris was impossible to attack?" she looked at Rhysand. "This is not possible, right? You said no one knows about this place," she started to stress, thinking about the Rainbow, the kids that she saw running in the streets laughing, the people in the shops. This couldn't be happening. He looked at her, as lost as she was but quickly pulled himself together and looked at everyone. 

"Feyre, her sisters and Eileánóir are staying here, the rest of you, come with me in the city, prepare to fight whatever is there," he looked at Feyre a last time before vanishing with the rest of the Inner Circle. Eileánóir only had seconds to look at Azriel before he vanished with them. 

"Please tell me we're not really gonna stay here with our arms crossed," she looked at her best friend with eyes full of hope. She couldn't just leave Azriel alone in a battle against god knows who. 

"Of course not," Feyre looked serious. "It's Hybern's men, Rhysand is there," she snorted. "He said not to come." She looked at the door. "Bet," she turned to her best friend. "Take my hand, we're winnowing there." She did as her best friend said and quickly found herself in the middle of Hell. 

Screams. 

Blood.

 Fire. 

A tear rolled down her cheek as she saw a child on the ground, probably dead. What was happening? 

Rage filled her veins when she saw the soldiers that were the reason for this massacre. Hybern soldiers like Feyre said. But why are they attacking here and now? The rage going through her body made the white shadows appear again around her.  She saw a soldier approaching a family who was on the ground, begging for their life and that's what unfroze her. She ran and put herself in between the family and the soldier, protecting them. In a blink of an eye, the soldier turned to ash after one of her shadows went through him. She froze, her feet fixed on the ground, shocked about what she just did. The screams were now far away from her, like a faint noise, her mind going back to when she killed all the soldiers on that battlefield in a matter of seconds. She was still traumatized from it, the idea of having killed thousands of people with one thought, and yet, it had saved so many people from the Summer Court. Innocent people who were going to the market, going on a walk with their children, just like now, in Velaris. She couldn't let these people die just because she couldn't handle killing more people. Even if these soldiers hadn't chosen to be there, they were killing innocent people, even children who don't even understand what was happening. Even more, people here can't lose their High Lord's trust, she has to protect this city. 

The screams came back loudly which brought her back to reality. She ran to a corner of a house, hiding while she concentrated, trying to recreate what she did on that battlefield. She closed her eyes, focused on her shadows, embracing her new gained powers then it happened. Her eyes shot open, now changed to white as she had transformed into a mythical creature, and like that, her shadows shot in different directions, killing every Hybern soldier present in the city. 

She heard Azriel scream her name then everything went black. Just like on the battlefield. 

⋆。⋆˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆.

So.... I guess I'm back? Last time I checked, I had 19K and now it's almost at 40K, I have no idea how to thank all of you for supporting my story even if I go on hiatus for so long each time I post a new chapter haha 

I can't promise I'll post quickly but I'll really try my best cause I, too, hate when I read something and I have to wait so long for the rest of the story haha I really want to apologise for the long wait! 

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this part!