Chapter 28

The tension was palpable between the group of friends. They had joined the battlefield in a blink of an eye. Every High Lord was now appearing with their own army in front of the army Hybern had brought in Prythian. The king was visible from where Eileánóir was standing and she could also peak the Cauldron that had probably helped him with this war. Every High Lord was now there, some with their army and some alone, probably not having time to bring their troops. The king of Hybern was smiling down on his army, already feeling triumphant as Eileánóir was analysing the scene. 

"We're outnumbered," Cassian said, looking at his High Lord. Rhysand, on the other hand, was looking at Eileánóir. She could almost hear him say "what are you waiting for, kill them all, sacrifice yourself". She turned her head to Hybern's army and showed them to him. 

Kids. They were almost all kids. They had probably no man left to fight since the last battle and kids were all that was left in Hybern. Eileánóir couldn't bring herself to kill all these kids. More than the men last time, they hadn't asked to be there and probably didn't even know what they were fighting for. 

She felt Rhysand's claws in her mind as she opened a small door to let him in. "I am not killing kids," she said to him in her mind. 

"Forget about them, aim for the King," she heard in her mind. As she slammed the door so he couldn't see what she was thinking of doing. She could feel the High Lord's eyes on her, tensed as he didn't know why she pushed him out. 

Eileánóir turned to the Inner Circle. She winced as she could hear the Cauldron talking to her, trying to lure her in. As she looked at her mate, she smiled a little, burning his features in her mind, to remember his face in case anything goes wrong. 

After sending an "I love you" down the bond, she stepped forward, putting an invisible shield between all the High Lords and their army and her. It was now her, alone, against Hybern. 

The kids seemed terrified as the King asked them to step forward and attack. Eileánóir closed her eyes, concentrating on what she wanted to do. She wasn't planning on killing these innocent kids. They didn't ask to be there on that battlefield. 

The girl heard everyone gasp as she opened her eyes again to see the battlefield in front of her empty. The kids weren't dead, she had just sent them home to their family. Only the king was left on his little hill protected by the Cauldron. 

The Cauldron. 

She could now feel him shake. A shake of fear. Its voice getting in her brain. "What are you?" "Don't get closer". She smiled. It was scared of her. Scared of what she could do. She took a step forward and heard its voice getting louder. "Stop!" She smirked. 

The king was looking back and forth between the girl and the Cauldron screaming at it to protect him and get him out of here. 

The Inner Circle was still baffled. The kids just disappeared. Eileánóir had not killed them. 

"Where are the kids?" Cassian asked, looking around him confused. 

"She sent them back to Hybern," Azriel said with a fond smile, looking at his mate. None of the High Lords present here could have been powerful enough to move an army that big but she did it. His mate, he was so proud to know that he was mate with a woman as powerful as her. 

"What is she waiting for?" He heard his High Lord say in the back. He turned to him after looking at his mate another time. 

"Let her take her time," he said, a bit harshly if he had to admit it. 

"Take her time?" Rhysand raised his voice a bit. He was tensed, so tensed and scared for his family. "Everyone's life is at stake here." Azriel's jaw tightened as he heard his High Lord's tone. 

As they started to fight verbally, Amren stopped them, telling them to shut up and look at Eileánóir. Indeed, she had raised her hand to the king, finally attacking him. And as a bold of light struck the man, they all heard the Cauldron growl, actually growl. 

After a few seconds that felt like years, they saw the king fall down the hill, probably already dead from what Eileánóir had done to him. However, what was getting their attention was the Cauldron behind him. They all saw a wave of wind coming from it, going for the girl in front of them. 

Azriel felt his blood boil, terrified about what could happen to his mate and as he ran and bumped into the invisible wall she had put in front of all of them, he saw what he had feared since he knew they were coming here. The Cauldron had attacked his mate, probably feeling threatened by her, and with a wave of power, it had made her disappear. 

Eileánóir had disappeared like the kids disappear. But, as they knew where the kids had ended up, they didn't know whether or not  Eileánóir had been sent elsewhere or had she just been removed from the Earth itself, killed by the Cauldron. Azriel screamed and fell to his knees as the invisible wall disappeared, his mate not being there anymore to keep it in front of them. 

He had seen his mate die once, and he didn't know which one hurt the most. Knowing his mate was dead, or not knowing whether or not she was, and if she had indeed disappeared, in what hell she could have ended up. 

---

Hi! Hope you liked the chapter and I'm excited to write the next chapter. I had thought about this scene and what comes next for months and it's finally here and I'm happy to bring something new to the story 

As always, you can leave a comment and I'll be happy to answer you if you have questions :)