[10] This is Definitely Not a Date

Zed had never been in the downtown library before. He had a card, but never used it. Eliza comes here all the time, occasionally with Bonzo, but not him.. He never really had a need for the public library when he barely used the school provided one. Wyatt looked relieved to be inside the building, letting out an audible sigh as he draped himself along the provided couch.

     "Giving up so soon?" Zed joked, slowly making his way to the endless rows of shelves.

     "No way! I'm just taking a small break. Willa made Wynter and I stay up till four in the morning to scan all our library books, for the third time!" Wyatt threw his hands up in the air, "She thinks we're going to find something new everytime we reread a book. I've been in this library twice."

     Zed picked a book with a promising cover. "I mean, did you find anything interesting?"

     "Nah, I only found a book explaining the history behind witches. Nothing on our current wolf curse." Wyatt yawned and stretched before standing back up. "I should probably check anyway though."

     Zed couldn't help but feel bad for Wyatt. Willa didn't seem like the person to just hand out breaks when someone was a little tired. He remembered how frustrated she got when they had done each other's nails. Wyatt seemed like he needed some time off.

     "Do you wanna get froyo?" Zed blurted out.

     Wyatt's hand froze on the book. Shit, wait, was that weird to ask your friend? Were they friends? They'd been on good terms for a while, ever since Addison broke up with him. So they are, right?

     "I mean, I can check out a few books and we can head to the froyo place down the street instead." Zed added quickly, rubbing his neck. Wyatt didn't move. "My treat."

     After a few seconds, Wyatt smiled and turned to face Zed, his tail thumping happily against the sofa. "Really?"

     "Yeah, I mean, why not? You deserve a break and I'm desperately craving something sweet." Zed shrugged.

     "Zed Necrodopoulus, you sure know how to treat a wolf. Let's go!" Wyatt handed Zed a book, racing to go wait by the door.

     Ah, okay. That wasn't so bad, was it? Zed placed his newly acquired books on the front desk, letting the librarian scan the books and his card. He noticed his hands had a slight tremble as he picked up the three books. Why was he so nervous? He felt his heart thump against his ribcage as he approached Wyatt, who was eagerly standing by the door.

     The froyo shop was slightly more expensive than the cart, but they had a wider variety of flavors. Of course, that didn't really matter to Zed, because he always went with vanilla.

     Wyatt was thrilled to see all the flavors the froyo parlor provided. He had eaten the classic vanilla that Zed had suggested, strawberry cheesecake, and cotton candy. Zed didn't mind at all, seeing at how happy Wyatt became with each bite. He assumed he could consume so many calories because of his werewolf metabolism. Lucky him.

     "It's a bummer we don't have this stuff at the den, we're usually stuck with wildlife, berries, and nuts in the woods." Wyatt licked his spoon, "It's getting harder to find deer these days, though."

     "You guys actually eat wild animals? Raw?" Zed asked before taking a dainty bite from his vanilla froyo. He didn't know if he could stomach another bite after Wyatt's answer.

     Wyatt smirked, "We are wild. Besides, you talk as if your ancestors didn't eat brains."

     "Touché." Zed muttered, taking another bite of his frozen dessert anyway. "Speaking of being wild, you never explained why you wolves, well, look more like wolves now."