[12] That Was Easy

The wolves looked worse for wear. Their clothes were rumpled and untidy, dirt was smeared all over them. He saw blood following scratches along their arms, and their hair was a total mess, sticking up awkwardly in random directions. The once smooth fur on their ears and tail shared a similar status of being unkempt. Zed couldn't remember a time they ever let themselves look like that.

   He catches Wyatt's gaze and Zed's heart skips into his throat as Wyatt's once tired eyes lit up. Zed tried to quell the feeling of disappointment when Wyatt immediately looked away in favor of the white haired girl.

   "You called us." Willa stated it as a matter of fact, but her voice held a questionable lilt.

   "Finally." The white haired girl's voice turned to honey as she looked at the wolves. Zed noticed her change in demeanor almost instantly. Her stance turned more open towards the wolves and her smile softened at the edges. Her apprehensive cast fell and Zed felt more discontent towards her. She was off.

   Wyatt took a step forward before him and Willa both fell to the ground on one knee. "The Great Alpha." Wyatt said and looked up to her with a dazzled expression, like he had been a dying man in a desert and she was the embodiment of a fresh spring.

   Then that bright face turned to Zed. "You found her!" Wyatt had sprung from his kneeling position to approach Zed. The zombie made no move to meet him.

   "What? No, she's not–she just has white hair!" Zed threw his hands in the direction of the 'Great Alpha'. Wyatt flinched back as if he had been burned and Zed regretted not moving towards him.

   His words were ignored as the girl placed a hand on Wyatt's shoulder. "I'm Gwen." She looked between Willa and Wyatt. "Rest assured, I am your Great Alpha. I've come to help."

   Willa and Wyatt's shoulders sagged in relief as Gwen pulled the two into a hug. Zed hadn't felt this unwanted and useless in a while. The werewolves looked fragile in the arms of the girl as she clutched them. Zed glared.

   "She came out of nowhere." Zed tried to reason.

   Willa's gaze was hot and heady. "She came in our time of need." He heard the sneer loud and clear.

   Gwen let her arms drop, but the wolves continued to surround her. "While I'm happy we've finally met, I'm drained from my journey. May I rest at your den?" She asked sweetly.

   "Of course." Wyatt and Willa said in rushed unison. Gwen smiled as the werewolves began to guide her back to the den.

   Wyatt snuck a glance at Zed before they disappeared in the tree line.

   Zed was a little sleep deprived at school. His night was spent thinking of Wyatt and that stupid Gwen girl. He thought having weird feelings towards Wyatt was good enough to make his brain raddled, but apparently he had to add the "Great Alpha" to that list. She made him uneasy, and thinking of her hanging out, being surrounded by the wolves made his blood boil. He wasn't jealous, just wary.

   "Hey, Zed! How's your morning been?"

   Now Zed's adding 'Addison' to the list of things to completely ruin him.

   He turned to her stiffly, closing his locker. "It's going good, Addison. How's cheer and stuff going?"

   She gave a smile and swayed on her heels. "Cheer's been super fun! We worked out some kinks with a few routines last practice and now it runs smooth like butter." Addison stilled and looked at Zed with an intensity he was not mentally prepared for. "I'm sorry."

   "Huh?" Zed responded lamely, because what.

   "I didn't realize how much I hurt you. I really wanted things to be like old times, so I tried to make conversation and then I got worried when I heard you got into a fight and everything went south–" Addison cut herself off to take a breath. "What I'm trying to say is, I'm sorry I wasn't thinking about how you were feeling."