[11] Okay, Maybe it Was a Date

Walking home was no big deal. Zed made it home in one piece. Well, his body was, his mind on the other hand, was in complete disarray. He even tried going to bed early that night, a poor attempt to shut out any wandering thoughts he might have had late at night. The thoughts intruded his mind anyway.

   They were going to kiss. Like, kiss, kiss. Something couples do. Zed felt his face go hot and grabbed a pillow off his bed, shoving it over his face.

   Get your act together, Zed! You shouldn't be focusing on this, you have more important matters, like how Wyatt had looked to be in pain beforehand.

   That's right. He had claimed it was from eating so much froyo, which to be fair, could be true, but it was so abrupt that Zed didn't want to believe it. Wyatt needed a good excuse to get out of the situation, and opted for a stomach ache.

   It's not a big deal. Wyatt retreated because he changed his mind, so what? It wouldn't be the first time someone wanted to get away from Zed.

   Just because Zed gets butterflies thinking about Wyatt's smile and constantly thinks about the feeling of his lingering touch on his arm means nothing. He and Addison broke up and now his mind is just desperate for romance. That explains everything, he doesn't have a crush on that sweet, handsome werewolf, that smells like pine and-

   "Argh!" Zed throws a pillow at his shelf, knocking off a few figurines and trophies.

   He ran his hands through his hair and paced in circles, kicking objects that had the misfortune of being in his path. He stopped in front of an empty wall, thumping his head against the wooden exterior with an audible groan.

   He stood there for a few seconds before he heard a gentle knock at his door. Zed turned to look and saw Zoey's green hair poking out from the barely cracked open door.

   "Uhm, are you okay? You sound mad." Her voice sounded uncertain.

   "It's nothing." Zed said with a smile, albeit forced. "I'm just thinking about football practice next week. School is a little stressful and the ACEY's are a bunch of idiots." He added a laugh at the end. He didn't think Zoey believed him.

   "Is this about Addison?" She asked as she stepped farther into the room.

   His stomach sank at the name. His brain was essentially fried by the events that took place over the entire weekend. Hearing her name again after the turmoil hurt him, and he reflexively hugged himself.

   "Not necessarily," he shrugged. It wasn't directly about her, more like the aftermath. Wyatt shouldn't have anything to do about his feelings on Addison. "I just think there was miscommunication about some stuff."

   "Miscommunication?" Zoey frowned, "How can there be miscommunication? Just talk to them."

   Zoey's blatant response caused Zed to burst into a laugh, flopping down onto his bed backwards. She's right! He should just talk to him and fix it right up, but there's something about it that makes it so much harder. Thinking of talking to him about an almost kiss? No thanks, it makes his stomach churn. Zoey's answer is so simple, but Zed's feelings make it so complicated.

   "You're laughing about my obvious answer, so I assume it's something more." Zoey rolled her eyes.

   Zed sat up on his bed, "Since when did you become a relationship counselor?"

   "Since you started being a bum bum around the house." She stuck out her tongue at him.

   Zed lunged for her and she squealed, trying to run away from him. She failed miserably as Zed yanked her, tickling her sides.