Stepping Out

Samantha Anderson

I pulled the red, velvet dress over my hips and slipped into the black strappy shoes. My hair was tightly curled and my make-up was dark around my eyes, with a bright lipstick offsetting this. 

"Do you really have to go, dressed like that with him?" Luke sighed, coming behind me and kissing my neck. 

"It's all part of the job," I lied. I knew I wasn't being forced to do this, at all, but it seemed like a better idea than pissing Harry off. I also didn't want to admit that to Luke, he could just think it was mandatory.

"Ugh, you do look beautiful though," Luke said, holding my gaze. "You know I love you, right?" 

I slightly smiled, "Of course I do," I responded, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "I should get going, though. I'm sure the car's here." 

"Alright, goodbye," he sighed, sitting down onto our bed. He watched me as he left, his eyes somewhat sorrowful. 

I left our apartment, entering the completely concrete hallway, passing the door's of our neighbors I never talked to. We lived in a cheap, run down apartment. And when we bought it, I hated it. But Luke thought it had "character". So, here we are, nearly a year later living in the worst apartment ever that I had fallen in love with along the way. 

By the time I reached the front of the apartment building, a black car sat in the front with a driver, I now recognized as Bruno, standing at the doors of the car. 

"Good evening, Ms. Anderson," he said, nodding his head. 

"Hi Bruno," I smiled, stepping into the car. Harry's calm face welcomed me, his eyes following my every move as I stepped in. "Hello, Mr. Styles." 

"Hello, Ms. Anderson," Harry said, a slight smirk arising from his lips. I was shocked he called me the correct name, and even more shocked he had even just a hint of a smile. 

"They better have a good dinner tonight," I said, crossing my legs and my arms. Harry's smile slightly widened. 

"I assure you it will be just fine," Harry said, his dry, raspy voice back. 

"For some reason, I just can't bring myself to believe you," I said, rolling my eyes. We sat in silence for the next few moments, neither of us daring to speak. The problem with Harry, was he didn't make an attempt to talk to me. He just expected me to talk to him and then annoy him.

He wasn't an easy person to talk to. 

Well, nothing about Harry was easy. 

"Samantha, I, um, appreciate the fact that you are attending this dinner with me," Harry said, gazing at me with harsh, green eyes. His eyes were intoxicating. They were bright and green with little speckles of gold. They shined in any type of light, even darkness. 

His eyes were bright and dark at the same time. They were, in a way, bipolar. Just like him. He was so up and down. For just a moment I thought he might want to be my friend, just with how he acted. I mean he had been willing to pick me at 3 in the morning. But now he was back to his cold and rude self. 

It was wasn't that I wanted him to like me. It was that I wanted consistency out of him. He was confusing and an absolute head case that I was getting sick of dealing with. 

"It's my job," I muttered and shrugged. Although Harry didn't work directly at Tomlinson Designs, he did however own a part of it, so, he was still my boss. Which meant I still listened to him. And still had to do what he said. 

We finally arrived at the hotel where the dinner was being held. There was a red carpet with plenty of paparazzi and plenty of adoring fans who knew Harry Styles was about to walk out of this car. For a businessman, Harry was wildly popular. 

"Don't talk to anyone and just hold onto my arm as we walk, deal," Harry said, taking a deep breath. He didn't wait for my response before getting out of the car, holding the door open for me. 

I linked my elbow with his and then stepped onto the red carpet with my high heel clad foot. 

The overwhelming feeling of everyone calling Harry's name was crazy. They were also calling at me, wondering who I was. 

"Harry, who's the hot blonde?"

"Harry! Harry! Is that your baby mama?"

And finally..

"Harry, how much did you pay this one?" 

It was annoying and infuriating to stand here and ignore their words, except I did my best to just smile and nod next to him. I've never felt so awkward and uncomfortable in my life. 

"We're gonna go talk to Forbes magazine, don't say anything unless spoken to, and only respond with as vague of an answer as possible," Harry said through his teeth, leaning down to mutter into my ear. I tried to keep myself from rolling my eyes, but I slightly nodded my head. From afar, I'm sure he looked like an adoring male partner. 

From here he appeared like an asshole. 

He moved his hand so our hands were interlocked. I was shocked by the touch but I assumed it was so he could drag me around like a puppy. 

I was concerned, though. Everyone, and I mean everyone, would think we we were dating. And I didn't like that. He was not the guy I wanted to be with and I didn't need everyone thinking he was. 

"Hello, Mr. Styles, how are you feeling about this prestigious honor?" the woman asked, her eyes mentally undressing Harry. 

"It's an absolute honor," Harry said, a smile appearing on his face that was a bit more real. "I'm very proud that my company, and myself, are being recognized. I've put a lot of hard work into my company and it's investments. It feels great to have it finally pay off." 

"That's great Mr. Styles and, we must ask, who is this stunning young woman next to you?" she asked, her smile brilliant and conniving. Harry smirked, glancing at me for a moment. I smiled warmly at her, a blush spreading across my face at her kind words. A camera was pointed in my direction, so I snuck a glance at Harry to avoid looking at the camera in the face. 

"A friend," Harry said, the answer completely vague. 

"Is that right, Ms.?" the woman said, now looking at me. 

"Anderson, and yes, we are just friends," I responded, swallowing and looking at Harry. Admiring his perfect jawline. 

He was attractive, I'll give him that. 

A/N: Sorry for the wait :}