Chapter Fifteen: Fireside

Chapter 15: Fireside

My fingers clasped the tattered, worn wheel as I pumped the gas pedal stiffly. I shook slightly, out of fear, nervousness. And it was a new feeling to me because I was the one to make people uncomfortable. To make people nervous and uneasy. It was a truly frightening feeling to know that the only person I've ever loved, was being blindly chased by a stranger that could possibly rip her to pieces.

I could feel my muscles tense, my fingers curling even more to grasp the wheel harder. I could feel it now. The tips of my fingers tingling, my lips thinning.

I was beginning to turn. And when Amia noticed, she rubbed my neck, making me calm down more and more as she whispered quietly to me, resting her head on my knee as I drove more and more, passing the borders, passing all signs, only driving...

Until I saw nothing but open field and the occasional house.

....

Amia

Jason's skin burnt like fire. His knees were exposed to the sweltering summer air that flowed through out the car. The car was worn inside. The interior was faded but I wasn't thinking of that at all. I wasn't thinking even slightly at that point. My mind was a blur.

Maybe it was because I was too afraid to think. Too afraid to get up from my place in the car, and too afraid to tell Jason how scared I was. Because, I knew it would make him feel even worse. It was eating away at him and his thoughts.

There was a pain in my lower half. And I knew exactly what it was. It felt like there was a small flame inside me that seemed to be getting smaller and smaller as time passed. I didn't know how I would ever get used to it. But, sex was the only thing that I still did that made me feel normal, even though I never had done it before. I felt... Normal, human even. It wasn't just me anymore.

It was me and Jason and the whirlwind of problems that he took with him. We were one now, bound together by invisible ropes, chained together. I felt helpless and completely worthless because I was of no help. But, what could I do? I wasn't like Jason.

I didn't know if I could ever be like him. And if things like this would be waiting for me, I don't know if I ever wanted to be. But, I did know that I had to be with Jason at all costs. My fists tightened around Jason's hair, and I held him against me for the rest of the ride, gently, slowly, calmly.

...

Jason

The roads were curved and rocky, and the car could feel everything that was under it. If I wasn't so composed, I may have gotten sick. It was too hot for me. I had to get inside with Amia. We had to conceal ourselves from everything. Maybe subside some of the tension, contact some part of us that was still normal.

The new motel was different. There was a phone, a tv, three different locks on the door, a big bed, and a bathroom with a shower. The towels smelled like dust like they had been here a while, and the room smelled of body fluids. Not blood, but cum and saliva, like the only people who slept in or even entered these rooms were prostitutes and tired middle-aged men trying to get the fuck away from their menopausally-bound wives.

I remember having one once or twice. They didn't know how old I was and If I told them, they didn't have time to care, because I ended them. They were too easy to obtain, but reliving the thoughts of those whores made me feel uneasy and tired.

Amia shut the door, as if she was reading my expression, and I cracked a smile in her direction before plopping on to the bed. The mattress creaked underneath me as my muscles relaxed, slumping down as I threw my body down. I could... Sleep ... Maybe. I hadn't slept for days.