Chapter Fourteen: When Trouble Comes A Knockin' (Teaser)

I clenched the phone in my sweaty palm. My lips quivering, and my muscles slowly beggining to get tenser with each raging, tortured pulse of my of my heartbeat. Amia's eyes burned into mine, her brows angled downward, indicating her new found concern. She was worried about me when all I was doing at that moment was worrying my ass off about her.

How was I suppost to make that bastard dissapear in the first place when I had not even the slightest idea who it was? 'God dammit..' I thought to myself, biting the inside of my lip hard enough to the point that it could have bled. I then gritted my teeth and let out a low growl, making Amia's heart beat faster, the pitch aching in my ears.

"J-Jason ... Who was that?" With the sound of her voice, I let out a loud scream. A combination of disbelief and pure anger. I threw the hard plastic piece of shit in my hand to the rottened out wall of my tattered, old bedroom. Amia then let out a whimper. One that I didn't want to ever hear. The whimper of fear.

She whimpered once more now, shuddering against the wall. Her eyes ... terrified, and not the good kind. Immediately, I then rushed over to her. Holding her softly in my arms. I burried her tiny face in my broad chest, and hid her away from my own self for a quiet moment.

"Sh... It's alright. Don't be afraid of me... please." I shushed her quietly, not exactly knowing what to do next. I was so new at this. And, just holding her ... I hadn't ever done that. I mean, if you don't count holding a girl down while you-

"J-Jason... What's going on? Tell me the truth. You can trust me." I looked away from her, trying my best to make my own expression unreadable. No matter how much I cared about Amia, I hated to admit it, but, I never wanted her to see me cry.

I sniffed up quickly so she wouldn't notice. I took a well deserved, short breath. Slowly, I began to form words. I then licked my lips.

"Someone..." I gulped.

"Is... after you." I breathed out as her pulse came racing to a stop, and then started back up again. The tension... It was so intense that you could cut it with a knife.

My ears then rang in response to the hammer of Amia's heartbeat. It beat rapidly and violently in her chest. I turned to see her face now, trying to soothe her just by giving her a look. Her lips trembled.

"No... what are you talking about?" She whispered as if someone was watching us. Slowly, quietly, she made steady movements as she clenched on to me tighter, pulling her body against mine.

"Someone has been killing girls. And it wasn't me. And they want you top... and-" Before I could form any other words, there came a loud and rapid knocking at the frontdoor.

"Jason... what is i-" I pressed my finger to her lips. I then looked at her with a serious expression. My eyes burning into hers.

"Do not, say, anything. Don't even move." I then left her with my firm, whispered words, flowing down the stairs like the spead of light, not even making the smallest sound. My eyes then peered through the tattered holes in the walls next to the shattered and moss covered glass front door.

Grown men whispered outisde, guns clicking against their sides. A deep voice, booming in my ears.

" Sam, kick in the door on my count. Guns at the ready. Shoot at anything and anyone that seems to propose a threat. This bastard has killed too many fucking people to live another damn day." That was all I needed to hear.

I pictured it then.

The dark brown hair came into my mind, then the badge, then the full, pale pink lips that pursed out. Amia's father. His men. Out to get me. I wouldn't waste another minute.