Chapter 10: School Trip

I actually had to get every one of my teachers to sign a permission slip for me to go on the field trip. The field trip was for the entire day, so I had to skip all of my classes so I could catch the ride there. I knew how boring the trip probably would be, and I wasn't exactly looking forward to spying on my best friend for the entire day while someone gave a boring lecture about wars. Yeah.

I had to wake up at about 6:30 to make it on time. I dressed into my boring white uniform, ate a quick breakfast (no waffles today, neither Alice or Violet was at the dining hall, which was surprising,) and for the first time ever, was able to navigate my way to HS without Violet helping me. As I walked into the classroom, Ms. John perked up like she was happy to see me.

"Hello Nicole. I'm so happy that you are taking the time to work on this assignment. You only have a few years you know."

I just nodded and ran over to the machine. Violet disabled my watch right after she told me about her power, so could probably just skip the trip all together, but I honestly was scared that Ash would say something aloud and I would miss it-that's how quiet she had been recently.

Again, I turned on the machine, stepped in front of it and found myself in complete darkness. I tried to find the door, which I slowly, carefully opened the door, to make sure nobody was in the room. Thankfully, it was the math room, which was empty. I snuck out of the closet and made sure nobody was in the hallway outside. I HAD to check or else a mortal would see a random door opening and closing.

No one. I must have been early.

I sighed, snuck over to the history classroom which was nearby and waited.

I had no idea how long I stood outside the classroom. It probably wasn't that long, but it felt like I stood there for hours untill the bell finally rang and dozens of students flooded the halls. The kids in Ms. Stubbs class who were going on the trip were instructed to line up in front of the classroom and wait until Ms. Stubbs was ready.

Not surprisingly, there weren't that many kids there. A few dozen, at the most. I found out that many students at my school just skip school trips completely and stay at home for the entire day (unless we go to an amusement park, fair or a movie. Even if the movie is educational and you just go because it's in 3D or you like popcorn.)

So, when Ms. Stubbs was ready she guided the group of students outside. I took the time to see who else was going. There was Ash (of course,) Angelina (for some reason, Violet wasn't here. INVISABLE Violet,) Dean and many other students I knew were there.

We marched in a straight line outside. Nobody dared to make any noise. I could tell no that nobody wanted to get on Ms. Stubbs' bad side. As I spotted that large yellow bus I somehow remembered how much I hated school buses. I stopped and looked around.

"Hey! I could just easily skip the trip all together! Who's to stop me? Nobody knows I still exist! Ash will be fine-"

I was cut off by someone calling, "ANGEL! ANGEL!"

I looked up, and instantly gasped. Violet was standing on the roof of the school, smirking at me.

"I could hear that! You know, just because mortals can't see you doesn't mean other angels in the area can't!"

"How did you-how are you-why are you-"

"Please. Stop stuttering. Don't worry. I'm a ghost." She stuck her tongue out at me.

"Then why are you here?"

"Oh, just to make sure you don't mess this up. Besides, I need to watch Angelina anyways. Ms. John fell asleep at her desk so..."