Chapter 5:Breakfast

Chapter 5: Breakfast

I was woken up by a hard knock on the door the following morning. I was exhausted, considering the amount of sleep I got that night. I flung myself out of bed and realized I could walk again. Relieved, I opened the door to find Alice with a massive smile on her face carrying a large basket.

"Hi! I hope you've had a good sleep last night, we have a long day ahead of us!" She tossed the basket on my bed and started digging through it.

Wow. She was oddly cheery compared to the day before. "What's the rush?" I yawned.

"Classes start today," she picked around in the basket, took out a piece of paper and waved it at me, "I had your schedule specially made so that we are in all the same classes." Great.

"I also got you your uniform." She handed me a plain t-shirt and yoga pants in-you've probably guessed-white.

"How did you-oh, please don't tell me you can read minds and you've figured out my dress size."

"Nope! I can also help people by reading their minds to figure out what they want, and doing or getting it for them. Look!" my IPod appeared in my hand. I screamed.

"Look. I know it's freaky now, but I'll explain during breakfast. Until then, please don't faint."

I nodded. I was too speechless to say anything. I was praying this was a dream. If I pinched myself I'd wake up. I couldn't.

Alice let me change and brush and escorted me to the dining hall or cafeteria as most people call it. It was more small and private than I expected, and there were only about 15 tables in it. Alice explained that my room was part of a wing in the school. The entire school itself is massive, the size of a big city, but the separate wings have different classes, rooms and dining halls. A wing is equivalent to a normal school for mortals (as she explained it. I still felt uncomfortable calling someone a mortal.) There are different schools for different countries, but my country's was called-again, you've probably got it already-Angel Academy.

Alice pointed towards a table, "Table number 6, that's the table I normally sit at. You are welcome to sit there too. There's an empty spot." I glanced around at the rest of the room. Everyone else there were complete strangers. At least no one at #6 looked threatening in anyway.

She pulled up a chair between a guy with blonde hair and a girl with dark hair with bangs that practically covered her eyes. I unwillingly sat beside bang girl. Without thinking I said,"

"Hi. I'm Nicole, but you can call me Nick. And do I know you from somewhere?"

The girl looked creeped out, but replied, "Violet, and no, you don't."

"Oh."

"Hi guys!" Alice smiled at everyone.

"Hey Alice," Everyone replied. They didn't sound as enthusiastic as Alice at all.

"This is Nic-"

"Just Nick." I cut Alice off.

"Oh, um OK? Anyways,"

Suddenly, a bunch of plates appeared in front of us-huh?

"Ok, think hard about what you want for breakfast; I need to practise my power."

Although scared, I was awfully hungry. I thought of a large plate of waffles, covered with whipped cream, strawberries and maple syrup. It appeared on my plate. Ok, I have to admit. That is pretty cool.

A girl with very blonde hair that sat across from me glared at my meal, glanced back at hers (fruit salad) whispered to the girl beside her and asked, "Is that enough for you, Nick?"

I stopped eating, "What?"

She shrugged, "Hey, and isn't Nick a boy's name?"

"It's short for Nicole."

"Then shouldn't it be Nicole?"

"No. I don't like Nicole, so everyone calls me Nick. Simple as that."

"But Nick is-you know-a boy's name and should be kept like that, don't you think Jamie?"

The girl beside her nodded.

"And, your hair-"

"Just back off Ivy. Nobody asked you." Bang girl-Violet-snarled.

"Oh, Violet. Defending the weak and new? YOU should back off. I'm sure she can fight her own battles." Ivy (???) snickered. She muttered something under her breathe that I don't want to mention, and that was it. I ran.