Chapter 24

“So Christian just left you?” Colin asked once we slowed to a walk, but he didn’t let go of my hand. We were now walking through the trees, swinging our arms together. “That’s not right.”

“I’m sure he has his reasons. I’m not important to him.” I shrugged like it was no big deal, but I was furious. He said he loved me, and he left me to die. After finally kinda getting my trust and love back, too. I didn’t know what to think anymore.

“Well, it’s a good thing I didn’t leave you, then.” Colin stopped us in the middle of the forest, tilting his head back and looking at the sky. I did the same, and the sky had so many bright, shining stars. I was awed before I realized he grabbed both of my hands. I looked back at him, his brown eyes not as sparkly as Christian’s green eyes, but the blonde hair brought it out. “Do you want to go back there?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean with the pirates. I know you can’t stand them, and I don’t like them, either. And after what Christian did, I didn’t know if you just wanted to stay back and wait until they go.”

“We’re being hunted down right now. Of course we need to go.” I stated, looking back at where the docks were. “We’re going to get killed if we don’t.”

“Don’t you want to go home?”

I immediately thought back to Henrik and everyone back in Kenilworth. “Of course.”

“Then ditch them. We'll get our own boat, and I'll take you home before going home myself.”

“Christian promised he’d have my back.” I shot at him, sounding harsher than I meant to. I wasn’t trusting promises at the moment.

“Elisa-” He gave up on words as his lips met mine softly, and it took me a second to register what he was doing. I pulled away from him, seeing the hurt in his eyes. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean-”

“It’s fine.” I pressed my lips onto his more forcefully, and he deepened the kiss for a couple seconds until I pulled away again. He saved my life, and he liked me more than I thought he did. I owed him. “Let’s just go back. And nobody is to know about that.”

“Okay.” He agreed as I turned back around, rubbing my lips together to make the spark and numbness I felt go away.

~~~~~~~~~~

We were back at the docks a short time later, and I saw outlines of people on the ship, but only Val was on the dock.

“There you two are!” Val exclaimed, gesturing to the ship. "Get on, we’re setting out again once the runaway scallywag comes back.” Val muttered it angrily, but I stopped before getting on board.

“Who’s still out there?” I asked, but I had a gut feeling that I already knew who.

“Christian. The pirate’s soft, lass. He said he wasn’t leaving without seeing his son, but he said he’d do everything to bring him along with us.” Val answered, and I started back towards the forest. “Where ye going now?”

“He needs me.” I turned back to say the words and was back at a sprint.

"What about earlier?" Colin asked, but looking out at the forest, I knew he needed me. "He just left you."

"We're going to leave if we're threatened by them. Just know that." Val added, and I sighed deeply. I had no desire to be stuck here.

"I know, but I'll be back with him. He's going to do something crazy if I don't go with him." I stated, and then started off again.

~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn’t until ten minutes later did I see the dark figure in front of me, but the closer I got, the faint smell of smoke grew denser and denser. “Christian!”