If Only She Knew

CHAPTER EIGHT

If Only She Knew

"Are you ready?" My mom asked as she parked the car outside of New Haven.

I couldn't help but feel nervous, I had avoided this session for too long, yet now as I faced it I felt like running away again.

"Yeah," I assured her with a nod.

"Your evaluation is today and you really don't want me to be there?" She frowned as a crease formed in the center of her forehead.

I bit my lip as I pulled off my cardigan, "I...I want to listen to him alone," I said, "You can go in after and talk about everything."

Today Dr. Anderson would be going over the results of my overall evaluation. The thought terrified me; although this evaluation should have been done a long time ago, I still felt a nervous prickle climb up my spine.

"You don't think it will be long, do you?" I heard her ask, "I've got to go meet Adam's teacher."

I shrugged, "I don't really know."

"Okay, I'm going to go and get a coffee, I'll be in the waiting room by the time you get out."

"Right, just wait for me," I opened the car door and pushed my hair over my shoulder, "Anyway, see you soon." I said before walking towards the buildings entrance, not daring to look back.

I walked into New Haven with tingling fingers and toes. The scent of flowers hit me as I walked towards the front desk. I leaned my elbows against the dark marble desk, eyeing the vase of flowers that sat dangerously close to the edge. I reached out and pushed it away as I waited for the receptionist.

"Good morning, do you have an appointment?" She asked as she adjusted her glasses.

"Yes, Dr. Anderson under the name Vera Wright," I said, peering down at her clipboard as she searched for my name.

Two men appeared behind me, both dressed in dark suits with strange briefcases in their hands. One of the men looked over the clipboard and smiled before glancing towards me.

"Vera, what kind of name is that?" He asked.

I took a step back as I shrugged, "It's a Pink Floyd song."

The man grinned before leaning over and whispering something to the older man beside him.

"Dr. Anderson is waiting for you, go on up," she said before turning to the men behind me.

I walked down the hallway, nervously tapping my foot as I waited for the elevator. I glanced over towards the front desk, my heart stopping as I saw the two men walking towards me.

A loud ding disrupted my thoughts and the elevator door pulled open, I sighed in relief before stepping inside and pressing the button, leaving the men behind. I went up to the third floor where it was always too hot or cold. Sarah, sat typing at her desk. She glanced up at me, a soft smile making its way across her lips.

"Hi Sarah," I greeted her with a smile.

"Good morning, Vera. Dr. Anderson is waiting for you," she said pointing towards the door, her eyes shining an odd blue in the rooms lighting.

I nodded and thanked her before walking towards the door and knocking. My head was already starting to pound.

"Good luck with the evaluation!" I heard Sarah say behind me, I didn't turn back. My palms were getting sweaty.