Chapter Two

My mom was behaving like her typical self and annoying me while I counted down the hours until I could walk over to Billie Joe's house. He lived only a couple of blocks away from me, which made me wonder why I had never seen him walking around the neighbourhood before, because he didn't have a car. I knew that because I always saw him getting into Mike's car after school.

I had already changed into the outfit I chose for the party, the same pair of black jeans I wore to school, and my favourite t-shirt. It was a Dead Kennedys shirt that I had cut the sleeves off. Billie Joe would've liked it, that's why I wore it, but also because it was my favourite shirt. I put this tattered denim shirt over the top, just in case I got cold, but I left it unbuttoned so you could still see the Dead Kennedys shirt underneath.

Anyway, I was sitting in my room minding my own business when my mom barged in, laughing obnoxiously. She didn't even ask if she could come in, she just flung the damn door open and strolled in like it was her own room. She sat down on the edge of my bed, and gave me this weird look. I'm not going to explain it, I probably couldn't explain it even if I tried, but her expression was weird and made me feel like she was about to blast me about something.

"Where're you going dressed like that?" was what she said, so I guessed the look she was giving me was because of my outfit, which didn't make sense, because I always dressed like this.

"I'm going to a party," I frowned at her, but that was all I said, because I didn't really feel like arguing, all I wanted to do was get to the party.

"Who's party?" she asked, but she didn't know anyone from my school anyway, so I had no idea how telling her who's damn party it was would matter.

"Billie Joe's," I said and shrugged. I was trying to avoid looking at her for too long, because she still had the same look on her face. "He goes to my school."

"Is he your boyfriend?" she inched closer to me, and I glanced at her again. She had a smirk on her face now.

"No."

"I don't blame him, especially when you're dressed like that. Maybe if you showed some skin or something he would show you some interest."

"Really? You think that will make a man actually want to stay with you?" I almost laughed, but I knew that'd annoy her, and like I said I didn't really care to argue with her. Arguing with her was pointless anyway, because she truly wasn't that smart.

"Hello, earth to Peyton," she waved in my face like I was an idiot and had been missing everything she was saying. "God, you're stupid. Yes, if you like this... what was his name again?"

"Billie Joe."

"If you like this Billie Joe, you've got to dress like - wait - Billie Joe?" her smile grew, and I was reminded just how much I hated her smile. It was ugly. Not in the way that it looked, because she was kind of pretty, but in the way she smiled, you know? like she was thinking something mean. "What is he? Some kind of country boy? Where's he from?"

"His name is nice," I frowned, and grit my teeth at her ugly smile. "He's from here, he went to school in Crockett before he came to my school."

"Nice? That name is fucked up."

"Why's it fucked up? It's a nice fuckin' name," my voice was getting louder now, because I was getting really mad.

She shook her head, not paying any attention to how much she was annoying me, "it's not nice. It's stupid. I bet he's stupid, and his mom, giving him a name like that. What was she thinking?"

I had the urge to punch her right in the mouth and wipe the ugly smile off her damn face, but I didn't do it. I wanted to punch her, I really did, but you can't hit your own mom. I yelled at her though, because I really loved Billie Joe's name, and she didn't know him at all.