Chapter Twelve

"I still can't believe you ran away when he kissed you." Hayley was smirking into her coffee. "I bet he's losing his mind right now."

I was sitting at the kitchen table with the passport application open in front of me, since Hayley had been on my case about it for the whole night. I finally agreed to fill it out even though I knew I could never afford to go, for God's sake.

I didn't really want to talk about Billie Joe, on account of feeling awkward as hell about the whole thing so I just started complaining about the passport application instead.

"It says I need parental permission for a passport because I'm not 18." I threw the pen down on the table, and started drinking my coffee.

It probably wasn't a good idea to be drinking caffeine because I felt sick to my stomach with anxiety about the whole thing with Billie Joe and all, but I was real tired. I barely even slept because I kept wondering to myself why the hell the asshole had kissed me like that. I felt like a moron being so hung up on it, because I figured he probably didn't even care that it happened.

"Go get your mom to sign it." Hayley shrugged. "I'll come with you. She could get in shit with child services for neglect because she kicked you out, so we can blackmail her."

I almost choked on the damn coffee at the thought of Hayley meeting my mom, and I felt even worse about the fact that I had lied about being kicked out. Technically my mom didn't even kick me out, I just left because Greg told me to and all.

"No, don't worry about it. I can go myself. You wouldn't wanna meet her anyway, she's a real bitch."

Hayley didn't seem bothered, but she told me she was happy to go with me if I needed support. I was glad for it, because I'd never had friends who wanted to support me before, but there was no way I was going to let any of my friends meet my mom.

I kind of chugged my coffee after that, because I'd decided I was going to try to get my mom to sign it. Hayley really wanted me to try and come along, so I didn't want to disappoint her. The chances of me happening upon some money were slim to none, but I guess if I had the right intentions I was doing my best to be a good friend. The whole thing was new to me, so what did I know? I'd never had a good friend in my damn life, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

I was almost finished my cup when Hayley started talking about Billie Joe again.

"You know you don't have to waste your time thinking about that idiot? Jesse would be a way better boyfriend."

I felt like laughing; firstly because the word boyfriend being used in any scenario involving Billie Joe and myself was ridiculous as hell, and secondly because I was sure Hayley was out of her mind. Maybe I'd questioned whether Jesse liked me since he was so nice to me all the damn time, but I didn't think he'd ever want to be my boyfriend.

"That sounds nice and all, but I don't think anyone wants to be my boyfriend."

I guess you could either call it perfect timing, or the worst timing on earth because Jesse walked into the kitchen as the words left my mouth.

"I'd be your boyfriend." He grinned as he sat down next to me.

I didn't know if it was a joke or not, but when I looked at Hayley she was practically manic because of how big she was smiling. If you asked Hayley, she'd say the timing was perfect. I kind of thought it couldn't be worse, because I felt real awkward all of a sudden and didn't know how to react.

I kind of laughed, because I was almost certain it was a joke, and then Jesse laughed a little too and put his arm around my shoulder.

"You'd make a good couple." Hayley said with the damn smile still on her face.