Chapter Seven

We spent the afternoon at the beach and even though I didn't have any bathers or anything Jesse convinced me to go swimming with him. It was a real dumb idea thinking back on it, because the water wasn't even that warm, so we were both cold as hell and didn't have any dry clothes to change into. Lint thought it was great though, he was laughing so much at Jesse that I swore he almost cried.

I mean it was pretty funny, when Jesse got out of the water I kind of ran up behind him and jumped on his back for a piggy-back ride but I hit him too hard and he fell in the sand, so his damn clothes were all covered in sand, and I guess I took the chance to rub sand into his hair just for the hell of it.

I even went for a long walk with Hayley and we just talked about everything, that was weird in the sense that we barely knew each other but I guess when I thought about it, I barely knew any of my new friends - Billie Joe and Mike included. But they all made it seem like we'd been friends forever, especially Hayley. She was great.

When we got back to Jesse and Lints place I put my clothes in the washing machine, because I had been wearing Billie Joe's Sex Pistols shirt and I really wanted it clean so I could wear it again the next day. I didn't have many clothes with me so Jesse let me borrow one of his shirts, it was big as hell on me so I decided just to wear it like a dress.

I was sitting on the couch watching the tube with Hayley when someone was knocking at the door, and I heard Tre's voice as soon as Lint had opened it. I kind of started to get excited, because I thought maybe Billie Joe would be with him, so I sat up a little bit and shifted awkwardly in my seat in anticipation or something.

"Is that your friend?" Hayley asked me, and I turned to her and nodded.

"It's Tre." I stood up when I said it because I wanted to go see what he was doing, and Hayley followed me out of the room.

And of course Billie Joe was with him, he was the first thing I noticed, and he was staring straight back at me. For a second I thought he had came to see me and I wondered if he had forgotten that he was mad at me, but then I figured he had probably came to see Lint and Jesse.

Tre's face was flushed as hell when he saw Hayley, and he didn't even say anything, he just smiled shyly at her. I kind of smirked about it. I didn't know why he got so shy around her, since he was real loud most of the time, but I guess the same thing always happened to me when I was around Billie Joe.

"Hey guys." Hayley said, and she stepped closer to Lint and put her arm around his waist. Tre's face kind of dropped when she did that. "You come to see Peyton?" she was looking directly at Billie Joe when she had said it, and I wanted to tell her off because she knew how damn much I liked him. He looked shocked as hell too because he didn't say anything for a moment.

He kind of scratched the back of his neck and stammered, "uh, yeah, yeah, actually I did." I almost choked on my own breath when he said that. He looked over at me, and his eyes were looking all shiny, "you still wanna go to the mall?"

I didn't even take the time to think about it, I just nodded quick as hell, "yeah, okay."

"Cool," he said casually, and an awkward silence filled the air for a while.

Until Jesse came into the room and walked up behind me, grabbing me around the waist making me squeal out loud like a real moron. Everyone started laughing besides Billie Joe, and he kind of just looked at the ground when Jesse wrapped his arms around me and hugged me from behind. I kind of had the feeling that he was annoyed, and I figured it was because he just wanted to get the shopping trip over with. I thought maybe he felt bad for making me cry so he came to see me to make up for it or something.