27

MADNESS
— 27. The Buddha

   That evening, Freya laid in bed alongside Ivar, who had his hand placed against her growing belly

That evening, Freya laid in bed alongside Ivar, who had his hand placed against her growing belly. "How is Balder? Hmm?" He asked her with a large smile on his face.

"He is well. He can't wait to be born. He is growing restless in there," She informed him and Ivar chuckled as he felt the baby kick against his hand.

"I can feel that," Ivar replied as he lifted his head to look at her, his own eyes softening, "I love you."

"I know," was all she said, causing Ivar to raise a brow at her.

"And do you love me?" He questioned and all Freya did was smile, forcing herself to nod her head, "As you know, apart from my mother, I have never really known what it is to be loved, or truly love. I'm sure you remember that my father left me outside to die when I was a baby, because I was a cripple. Everyone has always treated me first as a cripple. But I believe you know how it feels, to be an outcast."

"I do. My mother..." Freya replied, trailing off as she let out a large sigh, "My real mother killed herself to escape me. She thought me to be mad and believed if she didn't kill herself, then I would kill her. I only saw my father a few times as a girl, but that was all. All my life, everyone around me feared me. All I ever wanted was for them to love me, but I knew it would never happen."

"I feel the same. But I knew it was impossible," Ivar replied, a disappointed look on his face, "So I was angry with everyone. I've been in rage all my life. Until now. You expect nothing for yourself, Freya, but you revealed everything to me. In my eyes, you are all goodness. All truth," He explained and Freya tried not to laugh at his words as he placed a hand on the side of her face, "And you're all the world to me. You always have been. You've been at my side through everything. You chose your mother over me and I could not do anything of this without you."

"I am glad. Just imagine, Ivar," Freya began to say as she lifted her head from being rested on the pillow, "I was the bastard daughter of a Saxon slave and the son of a fallen Earl. Then, I became a princess and the daughter of the infamous Queen Ylva the Dread and Bjorn Ironside. Now, I am Queen myself and carry in my body..." She trailed off, running her hand over her growing belly, "The son of a god."

Ivar smiled and Freya tried to hide her uneasiness as she leaned forward, pressing her lips against his.

Gradually, she pulled away and laid her head back down while Ivar smiled widely.

"I've been wondering something," He suddenly admitted and Freya gave him a questioning look, "What do gods do? Hm? I have to do something," He began to explain as he grabbed her hand and held it as he laid back down.

Freya sighed and when Ivar was not looking, she rolled her eyes.

"I have to do more," He continued to tell her and Freya tried to contain her annoyance, knowing all of this was her own doing and she now regretted it more than anything, "I need to do more."