22

MADNESS
— 22. Jealousy

   That night, Freya was at her family home, preparing for bed

That night, Freya was at her family home, preparing for bed. She had been staying there since they arrived back in Kattegat. It wasn't like anyone was there to stop her. Halig was staying there as well and despite being unhappy about staying there while his entire family thought he was dead, he knew Freya had a point about why he needed to stay hidden. Though he had to admit, it felt good that for the first time in his life, he didn't have to share a room.

Hearing a knock on her door, Freya frowned and walked toward the door of the cabin. She opened the door, her eyes widening at the sight of Hvitserk standing there.

"What are you doing here?" She asked him, gradually beginning to smile since a part of her was actually relieved to see him.

"You've been avoiding me," Hvitserk complained as he wasted no time entering the room.

"Have I?" Freya asked Hvitserk sarcastically as she walked closer to him.

"You have," Hvitserk replied calmly as he turned to face Freya.

"Is that so?" Freya smirked, moving closer to the man.

"I came here to tell you..." He trailed off, sighing as he looked down at the ground, "I am not the answer to what's missing in your life."

"And what may that be?" Freya questioned, raising a brow at Hvitserk.

"Purpose," He answered in a calm tone and Freya's lips parted at his words. She was in no way expecting him to say that.

"You're not," She assured him, placing her hands on the sides of his face, "You're much more. You mean more to me than you could ever imagine. You must know that."

"Yet you still let Ivar parade you around like you're his wife," Hvitserk complained, causing Freya to sigh in frustration as she pulled her hands away from his face.

"I have no choice, Hvitserk," She complained as she turned her back to him, "You know that."

Hvitserk remained silent and nodded, knowing she was right. He walked closer to her as she walked away, grabbing her hand.

She immediately turned to him once he grabbed her hand and gave him a curious look.

"May I stay the night?" Hvitserk found himself asking her and Freya tilted her head slightly as she stared at him.

"Did anyone see you come here?" She replied and Hvitserk shook his head.

"No, I don't believe so," He replied and Freya nodded in understanding.

He continued to hold her hand, pulling her closer to him until they were just inches apart. He stared down her lovingly, moving the hair out of her face. He smiled down at her, affectionately stroking her cheek. "May I kiss you?" He asked her in a whisper.