21

MADNESS
— 21. New King of Kattegat

    It wasn't long before they arrived in Kattegat with their horses

It wasn't long before they arrived in Kattegat with their horses. Ivar rode on his chariot while Hvitserk and Freya rode close behind him on horseback alongside Harald.

"People of Kattegat!" Ivar shouted out loudly as the people of the city began to surround them, looking fearful, "I am Ivar the Boneless! I am a son of Ragnar Lothbrok! All hail your new king."

Freya glanced around, a part of her looking surprised as everyone fell into a kneel. In Ashton, when her mother's earldom had nearly taken by her uncle, many of the people of Ashton said they'd rather die than kneel to the usurper. It would seem the people of Kattegat didn't have the same loyalty toward Lagertha as the people of Ashton had toward Ylva.

In a way, she felt uneasy about what would happen when Ivar or Harald tried to take Ashton. There would be many casualties, for many people would choose to die than kneel to either of the men.

_____

"Hit him more!" Freya shouted out as she stood near Hvitserk, watching two men fistfight in the middle of the Great Hall.

The man ended up knocking the other to the ground, causing Hvitserk to laugh loudly in amusement.

She turned, a part of her feeling amused as she saw Ivar piss on Lagertha's throne as a way to spite her.

"To Kattegat!" Harald shouted out, raising his cup.

Freya turned again, briefly locking eyes on Hvitserk. She smiled, turning on her heel before she began to walk out of the Great Hall.

Hvitserk watched closely, making sure neither Harald nor Ivar were watching before he followed her. He tried to keep up with Freya as she walked into an empty room.

He found her standing there, her back facing him. He smiled and moved toward her, watching as a small smirk appeared on Freya's face before she turned to face him.

He grabbed her by the arm, pulling her closer to him. He began to lean forward, only to have Freya place her hands on the sides of his face before pulling him back slightly.

He gave her a puzzled look, watching as she glanced around to make sure no one was near.

She turned back to him, staring him intently in the eyes for a moment. She leaned forward, pressing her lips against his as they kissed passionately.

In the Great Hall, Ivar and Harald were conversing with each other. Ivar had confessed to Harald that he felt hollow inside. Harald ended up agreeing, saying he felt hollow inside as well since he had killed his own brother and lost his wife, their unborn child with her.

"Harald, I wouldn't worry too much about that," Ivar ended up telling the man as he placed a hand on his shoulder.

"What do you mean?" Harald asked, giving Ivar an offended look.