Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Authors note: If you like my story please vote and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Summer went by quickly. I woke up early, went to practice, then hung out with Maria. We would mostly train at her house. She had a huge field behind the garden that was usually set up for soccer, but she asked her staff to add cones that measured distance so we could train. After training, we would hang out at her outdoor pool to tan or lay in the grass and talk.

Jesse and Chris joined us pretty often, and during my second week there, Lana came back from Australia.

She was stunning. Tanned and tall with golden blonde hair, and the same striking blue eyes as her brother.

She came around often with her boyfriend. They mostly made out, but she was a blast in the few moments she came up for air. She was the type of person who was the life of the party and always had something funny to say. With new friends, I started to look forward to starting school and feeling less homesick.

On one Monday, Maria drove me to her house after practice. We didn't run that day because the coach made everyone try out for jumping events. As distance runners, we knew we weren't going to get picked for any of them, but she wanted to 'leave no stone unturned." We decided we were going to do our running in her backyard. When we got there, Robert was sitting outside. He was wearing a gray shirt and blue running shorts. I looked at Maria, and she smiled at me really big.

"I convinced him to run with us today!" She said.

I tried to hide the grimace that was threatening to come out.

Robert looked up at us as we came out and put his phone away. Maria practically jumped on him from how excited she was. She looked average size next to him. He had to be at least 6'3. I felt like a small child standing next to both of them.

I hadn't seen Robert since that day I met Abigail. Maria explained that Abigail didn't like him hanging out with the boys since I was always there. When Lana came back, it put the nail in the coffin for not having him around. I could tell she missed her brother and resented Abigail for his absence. Passive-aggressive jabs at Abigail had become the norm when we hung out.

"It's so stupid; Lana and Robbie would never date. A guy and a girl could be friends and enjoy each other's company without wanting to bone. Abigail can be so stupid." Maria told me one day as we were lying out in her backyard.

"Ready?" She asked, doing leg stretches.

I nodded.

We started our run easy, the three of us running together with Maria in the middle. We were doing Fartleks. The name sounds funnier than the actual exercise. We ran at a steady pace and then switched to race speed for a certain distance, then again at a steady pace. We decided that every time we turned a corner in her backyard, we would switch.

While we ran, I only spoke to Maria. Robert ran silently next to us and seemed slightly annoyed at having to hang out with us. I wondered why he even bothered coming.

I guess Maria eventually realized her brother was not saying anything and decided to turn her attention to him.

"So, Robbie, when are you leaving?"

"Next week."

"For how long?"

"A week."

"That's not too bad," She said lightly.