Chapter 82

Authors note: If you like my story please vote, add your libraries, and comment. It lets me know that you enjoy the direction it is going in. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Enjoy!

Chapter 82

The dance was not what I hoped it would be. It would be my first and last dance with Robbie, and I wanted it to be magical. Instead, it seemed as if we were going to be working the entire night. Robbie was asked to help out with lighting. 

I was asked to help out with the caterers. Apparently, we were short-staffed. This was Lana's first event as she begrudgingly took over Maria's role as the event coordinator. 

Maria tried to do as much as she could so that Robbie and I could have time together, but there was so much to be done it didn't make a difference. Lana could tell I was annoyed, but she didn't understand why.

"Since when do you care about dances?"

"I don't. I just wanted to hang out with Robbie,"

"You guys are together like every day, and you're going to see him every day. You can go without boning for a couple of hours. I really need your help," She said, placing a stack of filing folders in my hands.

I had to find, call, and change the orders for two caterers and was on hold most of the time. Then I had to make sure that all the ballots had been counted for king and queen. Even though everyone knew it was going to be Maria and Jesse.

I sat at a table in the back, counting the ballots, when Robbie came up next to me.

"Let's dance." He said, taking the papers from my hand.

"I have to count these again."

"Just say my sister won and call it a day. Here—" He said, taking the computer from me and typing out his sister's name.

"What about the lights? Lana is going to kill you."

"Unlike you, I didn't let myself become part of the event committee, so I really don't care," he said, giving me a smile and a shrug.

I gave him a look.

"People can see well enough. It's fine. Come on. We've been doing what they want for almost two hours. None of this is going to matter in ten years. I want to dance with my girlfriend."

I took his hand, "Okay," I said, nodding.

He pulled me into the dance floor, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"You look beautiful," He said, dipping down to kiss my nose.

"Thanks, you look pretty good yourself," smiled up at him. It was an understatement. Robbie in a tux was something else. 

We danced two songs in silence, my head pressed against his chest and his nose buried in my hair. I could feel his heartbeat, and it made me feel calm for the first time in a while.

I sighed.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked, running his hands up my back.

"Nothing, I just felt safe," I said, looking up at him.

"Is that why you've been weird all week? I knew that accident freaked you out."

I buried my face in my chest, and he grabbed my face with his hands and tilted my chin up to look at him.

"You need to talk to me about these things. We can't keep things from each other." He said, his thumbs stroking the apples of my cheeks. He kissed my forehead and then smiled at me.