17

OUTCASTS
— 16. Moon over Bourbon Street

   A month had passed since Rebekah had left New Orleans

A month had passed since Rebekah had left New Orleans. All seemed to be well in New Orleans. Cadence had spent all her time in the bayou with the twins, allowing them to get to know their father. The Crescent Curse was lifted, after all, and it was all thanks to Hayley.

Cadence had returned to the Quarter every now and then to check on Kieran, who seemed to be only getting worse. She hadn't heard from Klaus, which was a first, but she didn't bother wondering why.

It was afternoon time and Cadence stood with Jackson, smiling as she watched two men wrestle. Several others stood around them, watching the scene occur.

"Shouldn't you be over there, fighting with the rest of the little frat boys?" Cadence asked Jackson jokingly with a smile on her face.

"Nah. That's just for pecking order. They already know who's the alpha," He reminded her, causing Cadence to playfully roll her eyes.

She turned, lifting her head to look him in the eyes. "Is that so?" She asked, smiling sarcastically.

"Uh-huh," He replied, causing them both to chuckle. They turned to see Hayden and Hunter running around, playing with other children.

She knew the truth, though. Hunter was adjusting and adapting to the new environment far more easily than Hayden, who was hesitant to trust the people around him. He always had been that way. The only reason he was actually playing with the other children was that Hunter was there.

"The twins seem to enjoy being here," Cadence spoke up and Jackson smiled, nodding his head in agreement.

"It's where they belong. It's where they've always belonged," He reminded her and Cadence uneasily smiled as she looked down at the ground.

It wasn't long before Hunter and Hayden ran over. Hunter laughed and allowed his father lift him off the ground. Cadence smiled at the sight, but instead of going near his father, Hayden remained at her mother's side.

"When are we gonna go back home?" Hayden suddenly asked as he stared up at his mother.

"What do you mean?" Cadence asked, giving her son a puzzled look.

"I want to see Klaus again. He promised he'd give me a new toy car," Hayden replied, causing Cadence to sigh in defeat.

She turned her head slightly to look at Jackson, who frowned at the fact that the twins were familiar with Klaus.

_____

That night, at dinner, Cadence was helping Jackson light candles while Hayley stood near them, doing the same.

"You got to try Tucker's ribs, Cade," Jackson told Cadence, a smile forming on his lips, "I bet you missed those while living in the Quarter. I remember how much you used to like them."