25

OUTCASTS
— 25. A Closer Walk With Thee

    During Kieran's funeral, after Cami, Cadence was the second to walk up to Kieran's casket to pay her respects

    During Kieran's funeral, after Cami, Cadence was the second to walk up to Kieran's casket to pay her respects. She held Hayden and Hunter's hands, both boys staring down at Kieran. It was obvious they didn't know how to react to it. They were just children and they never really got along with Kieran. However, they knew how much their mother cared for him and it hurt them to Cadence in such pain.

Cadence glanced down at Kieran, forcing herself to hold back her tears. She sighed, walking toward her seat in the front row with her sons.

The rest of the attendees began to pay their respects and when Cadence hear the footsteps of someone walking in, she turned to see it was Klaus.

He stopped and looked down at her, watching the relief that appeared on his face the moment she saw him.

She immediately stood up and hugged him, a single tear falling down her cheek.

Klaus wiped the tear and pressed a kiss to her cheek. He watched as Cadence sat back down and looked over at the twins, sending them a small nod before down on the other side of them.

He dug into his pocket and took out two carved toys, handing one to each of them. Their eyes lit up at the sight of the cars. Though as much as they wanted to scream and jump in excitement, they knew by all of the somber energy around them and the coffin that was directly in front of them, it wasn't time for them to express their happiness upon receiving Klaus' gift.

_____

  At Rousseau's, a celebration was occurring in honor of Kieran, just as the man asked for. Klaus was sitting alone at a table when Cadence walked over, looking far better than she was the day before in her grieving state.

"If I'm not moping, neither should you," Cadence spoke up, noticing how Klaus' head was lowered in shame, "Hello? Earth to Klaus."

The moment Klaus lifted his head, his eyes widened at the sight of her bruised face.

Instinctively, he reached his hand out and placed it on the face of her face. "Your face--" He began to say and Cadence smiled as she placed her hand over his.

"Will heal," She assured him in a calm tone as Klaus pulled his hand away from her face, "Listen, I wanted to take you."

"Unless you come equipped with the means to fill this..." He trailed off as he lifted his empty cup of scotch, "No additional platitudes are necessary."

"Okay, then," Cadence replied and scoffed loudly, "Yeah I'm in a pissy mood because the man who was like a father to me just died, and people are partying like it's Mardi Gras. What's your excuse?" She asked and Klaus remained silent, "Seriously, what's going on?"