14

OUTCASTS
— 14. Crescent City

 At Saint Anne's Church, Cadence sat beside Cami near the front of the church as Kieran held the first mass since the massacre that occurred nearly a year ago

"Thank you all for coming, it means more than I call tell you," Kieran addressed the crowd in a calm tone, "We gather today for the first public service of our newly reopened church. St. Anne's can finally once again be the heart of our community, where we can congregate as a people united."

As Kieran continued on, Cadence turned her head, finding Klaus' eyes to be on her. She sent him a soft smile and Klaus returned the favor.

Slowly, she turned away and looked in another direction. She frowned, locking eyes on her mother. She sighed and looked away. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, forcing herself to remember that her mother was dead and she was probably just imagining it.

_____

After mass, Cadence joined Marcel and Klaus outside in greeting Kieran. Klaus was the first to make his way to Kieran and he wasted no time shaking the man's hand. "Lovely sermon, this morning, Father. Quite inspirational."

"Oh, come on, we both know you weren't even paying attention, Klaus," Cadence commented, earning a smirk from Klaus.

"I wasn't expecting you to join us," Kieran commented, glancing between the trio.

"Oh, we were hoping for some word from your human sources on the recent Haitian invasion," Klaus replied in a calm tone.

"My guys have their ears to the ground," Kieran informed him, "And no one has seen or heard any sign of whatever his names is."

"He's called Papa Tunde," Marcel spoke up as he finally added into the conversation, "And right now, he's wandering around the quarter with the power he absorbed from every soul I had buried in the Garden and he's after Cade, so you might want to put your ear a little closer to the ground."

"Or I could steer clear of whatever war is brewing between your kind and his before I find myself in—"

"I wanted to congratulate you on getting the church up and running," Cami suddenly spoke up as she walked over to Kieran and shook his hand, "I can see this is a bad time. Nice to see you, Marcel. I'll see you later on at work, Cadence."

With that, Cami walked up, not before shooting Klaus a glare. "Cami," Cadence called after Cami, who continued to walk away.

Klaus turned his head, noticing the judgemental look he was getting from Kieran. "Well, don't look at me. I tried to send her away."

Klaus ended up getting a call from Diego, which he was quick to answer. Once he was finished, he turned to Marcel and Cadence, gesturing for them to leave with him, which they ended up doing.