DISTRACTION

Jason Todd

His body was sore with exhaustion, his mouth still occasionally swelling with blood and his bindings chafed with every breath he took. Still, despite the pain he felt and the torture he'd endured, it wasn't worse than his near death from Deathstroke. Maybe it was because he knew that no matter how much he wanted to, Hurricane wouldn't actually kill him until he got an answer he liked. Maybe he thought he wouldn't kill him at all, in favor of staying off Madalyn's bad side. Or maybe he'd just reached the point where he didn't care anymore; whichever the reason he was sure this wouldn't be as scarring to him.

The room they were keeping him in was dark and bare but for the chair he was strapped in. Without windows and the only real light coming when Hurricane decided to gift him with his presence, Jason didn't know where he was or how long he'd been there. Before being knocked awake in the room, the last thing he remembered was helping some of the civilians out of the club before a blistering pain went through his skull.

Even without a way to tell the time, Jason got the sense that not much had passed between Hurricane's first visit and the unexpected stranger that followed.

The door had opened a lot calmer than when Hurricane was behind it, which had tipped Jason off that there was something odd. Then a tall, unfamiliar guy with dark hair walked in, looking at him as though he knew every one of his secrets. "Huh, so Danny hasn't killed you yet," he'd said by way of greeting. "I was almost positive that he would. He's not exactly skilled in self control." Jason didn't respond. "I'd tell you you were better off just giving him what he wants, but I think we both know that's be a lie."

"Who the fuck are you?" Jason blurted, impatience getting the best of him.

The stranger's mouth quirked in amusement. "A friend of Hurricane's and Emmy's-- though uou know her as Madalyn, I've heard."

"Great," Jason groaned sarcastically. "Another unrequited love from her past. Because Hurricane Douche wasn't enough."

The guy actually flinched in disgust, intriguing Jason. "Unrequited love? Don't be ridiculous. I'm her twin brother, Roman."

"Twin brother?" Jason repeated skeptically. trying to find any resemblance between the two.

"Fraternal twins," Roman added with irritation. "And unlike Daniel, I don't care about any of her love affairs since the last time I saw her."

"Great, because I've got nothing to tell you about 'em. So you can't let me go, I'll consider not kicking anyone's ass on my way out and--"

Roman cut off his words, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. "You may not be worth anything there, but you do still serve a purpose to me. And as long as that's true, you won't be going anywhere."

Jason glared. "And what purpose is that exactly?"

"Bringing my sister home," he answered nonchalantly. "I'd rather that she would've come home more willingly and on her own, but circumstances haven't allowed for that. She's already been gonefor nearly seven years and i would prefer not to lose another second more with her."

This time Jason laughed, earning his own glare. "You're fucking kidding me, right? That's why I'm here? You think Maddie is going to come running because uou took me hostage? We've barely known each other a week, i think you're seriously over- expecting on this one." Though he'd spoken the words, Jason couldn't fully bring himself to believe them. Since they'd met, he and Maddie had clicked, having each others back without words. Whether from a mutual feeling of kinship or personal relationships that bound them, Jason had the feeling Madalyn would come for him.