DARKNESS

As far as I knew, D'amato had never seen my face before, but the look in his eyes as he stared at me told me a different story

As far as I knew, D'amato had never seen my face before, but the look in his eyes as he stared at me told me a different story. He cocked his head to the side and a cold feeling spread through my chest. A group of other dancers crossed between us, breaking me from my trance long enough to twist myself around, forcing Dick back some as I did.

As solid and attuned to me as ever, he held his ground and met my gaze. "What's wrong?"

I bit down on my lip to keep from lying almost as much as speaking the truth. His eyes narrowed at the action and I knew I'd only made him more suspicious. "Let's go back to the tower—"

"Who are they?" he asked, giving me no time to charm him. "Who did you see?"

"I see lots of people, Grayson, we're in a club." He glared down at me and I sighed in frustration. Not only was our moment ruined, but I was damned whether I told him the truth now or later. "I'll tell you later, okay? Let's just go now—"

The temperature in the room took a hard and sudden dip, my skin breaking out in goosebumps and our breath visible between us. Dick looked around, on edge, and I looked over my shoulder trying to see past the confused clubbers around us. The music reverberated through the room, but their voices worked to project over it, complaining about the freezing air around them. I no longer saw D'amato or Hurricane where they'd been standing minutes ago and that made me more anxious than before.

"Madalyn," Dick said loudly into my ear and I turned to him with a wince. Even before he spoke the words, I knew what was coming. Sometimes, Dick Grayson was smarter than I liked him to be. "He's here, isn't he? He's the one doing this; the one that got you—"

"Yes," I interrupted, recognizing the murderous look on his face. All the years I'd spent away, hoping to keep that look from his face and that feeling from his soul, and it only took me seconds to bring it back. "That's why we have to—"

There was a loud sparking crash from across the dance floor followed by panicked screams. All around us people started shoving in an attempt to flee the club, momentarily separating us. Another crash sounded to my left as well as a flash of light and I paused my search for Jason and Dick.

To everyone else, it may have looked like an electrical short of some kind, but I knew without a doubt that it was Hurricane's lightning.

Wanting to draw my attention, he released more, allowing me to follow its trajectory to his location. He stood just before the DJ booth, looking as if he'd seen a ghost as he stared at me.

A hand grabbed my arm from behind and adrenaline and instinct kicked in. I half spun, throwing my fist full force, just barely pulling back some as I realized it was Dick. He pulled his neck back while catching my wrist with his other hand, responding to me with nothing more than a silent look.

"Where's Jason?" I wasted no time in asking.

"I saw him helping someone up by the door," he answered, letting go of me so I could relax and lower my arm.