HURTS LIKE HELL

Truthfully, I was surprised my room was still vacant after all these years. With the number of people always coming in and out of this place, I was sure it had to have been reclaimed several times over. Instead, as I turned the cool metal of the knob and pushed the door open, I found it exactly the same as when I last left it three years ago.

The bed was an unmade mess left over from my hasty exit that night. The curtains at the window were wide open, overlooking the late afternoon landscape. Sitting in front of that window were three potted plants I'd put there when I first moved in; a sunflower, black roses and a Dahlia.

I dropped my duffel on the desk by the door and just stood there in the middle of the room, remembering that day.

I'd just finished watering them and was taking a minute to admire them and the feeling of comfortable peace they filled me with. I'd gotten so lost in my own head that I didn't realize Donna stood in the doorway watching me.

"That's an interesting trio combination," she said and I turned to look at her. She leaned against the doorway with her arms casually crossed over her chest, loose braid on her shoulder and smile on her lips. "Any reasoning behind the choices?"

"Not really, no," I answered, glancing back at the flowers briefly. "I just sort of saw them and suddenly I was bringing them home."

Donna let out a soft laugh, for a reason I didn't understand, and her smile widened across her face. "It's crazy what your subconscious can reveal without even knowing it," she said. "Do you know what those flowers commonly represent?"

"No..."

"You have the ability to manipulate plants but you don't know what some of them mean?" Donna said with a mocking raise of her eyebrows.

"Excuse me if it's not very high on my priority list," I shrugged. "And I didn't realize it was so high on yours."

"It's called a hobby, you pain in my ass. Fridah Kahlo used a lot of flowers in her art so I made a point of looking up there different meanings. Now, are you going to shut up and let me tell you the irony of your selection, or what?" I waved my hands in surrender and she shook her head. "Those three plants? Kind of represent us; you, me and Dick."

"Um, what?"

Donna sighed, straightening up. "Black Roses usually represent the feelings of loss and acknowledgment of mortality; that's Dick. All these years that have passed since his parents and he still carries that pain with him like a second skin. Dahlia's symbolize inner strength and staying strong and true to your values; which is very much your stubborn little ass. And sunflowers, to some, can be a symbol of loyalty—"

"Which is you," I cut her off with some amusement. "That's an interesting theory and all, but why would I subconsciously pick up plants that represent us, when we already exist together?"

"Hey, maybe you didn't and I'm just reading into this, or..."

"Or...?"

"Or that's exactly what happened because whether you want to admit it or not, we've become your family and you love us," she smiled brilliantly. I laughed in surprise but couldn't bring myself to say anything about it.

Whether my subconscious was at fault or not, whether that really was why I was drawn to buying those particular plants, Donna was right about one thing. She and Dick had truly become my family and I loved them.

Looking at the bright yellow spot that was the sunflower staring back at me, my eyes started to sting with oncoming tears.

"You know, I never thought I'd see you standing in this room again, let alone under these circumstances."